Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Garmin Announces Zumo 395LM and 595LM GPS for Motorcyclists

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Feb 23, 2016.

1. If there’s one advantage that driving a car has over riding a motorcycle, it’s the ability to easily use and take advantage of GPS devices. For motorcyclists, options are few and far between as not only do you need to be able to operate the GPS with gloves on, but it also needs to have a brighter than average screen and be able to withstand the rain and vibrations. Enter Garmin’s new devices specifically for motorcycle riders – the Zumo 395LM and 595LM.

In addition to those features necessary for use by riders, the two new devices come with a few safety benefits. Riders can be notified of upcoming sharp curves, nearby red light and speed cameras, animal crossings and many other useful alerts.

The software installed – called Garmin Adventurous Routing will search out roads that motorcyclists might prefer and not necessarily the shortest or fastest way from A to B. Also, both models allow riders to control music and media from a compatible smartphone or MP3 player. The 595 model lets riders stream popular music services such as Spotify and Pandora right into their headset or helmet (sold separately), offering easy control options using the glove-friendly Zumo screen display.
    garmin-zumo-001-450x338.

“What’s exciting about the new Zumo models is that they are designed to find those adventurous winding roads that riders typically crave,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “The ability to stream Spotify music will also enhance the thrill of every ride.”

It all sounds good until you see the price.The Zumo 395LM has a suggested retail price of ~$800 and the Zumo 595LM is $1,100. Not sure of the likelihood of people snapping these up when they cost as much as what most people would spend on their gear.
    garmin-zumo-002-450x450.

Continue reading...

Attached Files:

2. These things are available in Australia now.

I just bought a Zumo 595LM to replace my Montana 650T.

Expensive - Yes !

But I can't think of anything much it doesn't do, that I'd like it to.

A few minor negatives is all I've come up with so far, but I'm sure time will let me find some more.

Happy to answer any questions any prospective buyer may have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had (still have) an old Zumo. It was OK for what it was, but no way known I'd spend $1100 on a new one.

A couple of things that spring to mind - "designed to find those adventurous winding roads that riders typically crave" - which are often unsealed, and GPS units have a less than perfect record of discerning these... and streaming services, which require a data connection either built-in or through a phone, and which funnily enough become scant and unreliable where most of those roads we crave tend to be located!

Sounds like 'adventure' according to a design/marketting team that spend a lot more time behind desks in an office building than out on a bike.

That said, I'd be interested to know how the new ones go. The old one is pretty much unuseable now.