Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Garmin and Linux

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by nil_orally, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Well, I am just about to take a hammer to my Tomtom Rider. I am trying to load it with maps of the USA, and the effing thing will not operate through Windoze like it should (does anything ever?). ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

The short story is the guy I bought a bike from in Utah is organising a bike service for me, and will get the mount and wiring done for a GPS of my choice at the same time.

I planned to use my existing Rider, but that is starting to cut into valuable drinking time. So I do a bit of webbing and start to think the Garmin Zumo 550 is the ducks guts. This thing will do everything I want, and some I don't (do I really want my overly-smart girlfriend correlating my logs...?) Problem is the Garmin PC software seems to be Windoze only.

I am taking an EEEPC 900 with me. I have fallen in lust with this thing in the week I have owned it. Took it out of the box, typed in the wireless password and logged onto the wibbly-wobbly web. Literally. 5 minutes and the machine is up and usable. Boot time is 35 seconds. 3 USB ports, and an SD card slot. Small, light and 3 hours of life on batteries. Solid state hard drive with 16GB of memory is enough for anything I want to do with this machine. The only fly in the ointment is it is linux. This is not a problem, as I run this on two other PCs from choice, but the Garmin stuff is stated as windoze only.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with Garmins and Linux? Ordinarily I would do the research, think about it, scratch my nuts and find an answer. The issue is I leave on 01-Sep, and have shedloads of work getting in the way.

Yes, I know EEEPCs are available with Windoze, but I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes. At least the "tsissst" sound has a calming effect.

The EEEPC by the way does not have a built-in C compiler, so binaries are a problem (it this is greek to you, you are in the majority).
  2. linux nd gps are a tuff combi for me :|
    i had heard of garmin releasing 2 versions of their gps devices based on Linux, but never saw them anywhere in aus.

however, try this forum and check if that helps you in any way.
  3. I think trying to compile your own TomTom driver is not even close to the amount of effort it will require, but why not install some other flavour of Linux that does have a C compiler? If not I believe there's some way to get it on the stock Xandros Linux, try the eee wiki.

Also, why not just install/dual-boot Windows for the time you need it then restore the Linux-only thing later?
  4. I'm usually a hard line Linux advocate, but this is a difficult job. If you don't want to spend much time on it and don't want to install Windows (hey, I understand!) your best bet would be probably to just buy another navigator once you're in the states, with US maps already installed. They are a lot cheaper over there, and you can sell it when you leave...
  5. One word: WINE