Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Gallipoli flag stolen from RSL office

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by pringa8, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Gallipoli flag stolen from RSL office
    THE first flag carried ashore by Australian troops at Gallipoli in World War I has been stolen from the NSW RSL's Sydney office.

State RSL president Don Rowe said staff noticed the flag missing from Anzac House Castlereagh St, in Sydney's CBD, on Monday.

It was in storage with other memorabilia at the RSL's headquarters while renovations were carried out on the war memorial in Hyde Park, where it is usually on show.

Mr Rowe said the flag was taken ashore by Australian troops of the 9th battalion, 3rd brigade, at Gallipoli and carried throughout the campaign from 1915.

The flag bears the signatures of several historical figures including Albert Windsor who became King George VI.

While the flag has been valued for insurance it is the sentimental value that means the most, Mr Rowe said.

"You can't put a value on it. It's historical as well as sentimental, something that's irreplaceable," he said on Thursday. "And it's really got no value to the person who took it because no one will want to buy it. No one will want to touch it because ... the word's out that it's been taken.

Police have been notified and a list of everyone who had access to the storage area has been compiled.

Mr Rowe said the person who has the flag can return it to Anzac House or any RSL branch.

"I hope they've got a guilty conscience and return it because a lot of cases people just don't know what it is. They just think `oh, that looks good, I'll take it'," he said. "And they don't realise what it actually means."

Honestly, how much of a peice of sh!t can people be sometimes?? I'm lost for words as to how someone could do this? You couldn't even sell it.

2. 5 minutes in a locked room with these spineless, gutless snivelling wastes of oxygen........................please.
    :twisted:

3. Peoples ability for selfish low acts never cease to astound me :evil:

4. As much as I don't like the idea of culture being stolen for someones private collection, I breathe a sigh of relief that this item was probably taken without much thought and is likely to be given back.

I'm always fascinated by peoples reactions toward insults toward their nationality and culture. Often in cases where these two factors are involved, things like vandalism or theft are seen as a personal insult because the person identifies strongly with the group in question.

Interesting...

5. This is a pretty low act and hope whoever took it did so because they knew what it was.. ie so they are looking after it.. With some luck guilt will win over and it gets returned.

A very low act indeed.

6. What a complete tosser.

7. At least if anyone DOES buy it black market,t it'll be safe in some private collection.

8. It's just a flag.

People pinch shit.

9. wow mate are you that ignorant to it's significance and what it represents, it's worth certainly exceeds the sum of it's parts.

10. Nope. Anybody who knows my and my primary interest outside motorbikes would realise that I'm not all that ignorant about Australian military history at all. :)

It's not malicious, it's not a deliberate slight against our culture or anything like that - someone's pinched something. If they posted up a video of it being burned on youtube I'd be upset. Defacing a cenotaph would shit me as well. But someone's pinched a flag. It's different.

In my books anyway.

11. .....I really do hope that you are joking!!........

12. I'd actually suggest that you need to do some more research.
    Any (military) flag is treated as an object of reverance, similar to the way the units colors are regarded, but maybe not "quite" as sacred. Colors are the modern version of a battle standard, and are almost holy objects.
    This flag "saw service". It was part of a large major battle. As such it would be held in higher regard than "just a flag".

13. +1 tramp. i bet the diggers who carried it wouldve fixed bayonets to protect it

14. Er no what?

US, British and Aus soldiers have died for flags.
    On ANY military base anywhere you "stand to" whilst the flag is raised / lowered.

16. I am... I am just beyond words. I cannot even begin to fathom why. Its not so much the act of the flag being taken but the kick in the face that it was.

As far as I'm concerned we should be able to display things like this publicly with no fear of it being stolen. Honestly. Ill bet whoever took it was in league with the class twat. You know, the one who made jokes at the war memorial during school excursions.

17. Jirf, it was taken from storage, where it was kept out the back. It wasn't being displayed at the time.

Tramp, it's the unit flag, not the Australian flag (Or red ensign I think they would have had?). Two colours with some numbers on it. It was probably taken ashore as a marker to show where the furthest point of the attack had reached, or even something simple like marking out the battalion HQ.

Australian troops didn't fight or die for a unit ensign in WW1. Certainly not a motivating factor to the soldiers as far as I'm aware. But they were proud of their units, without doubt. People here are talking about it like it's a Roman unit standard or something.

But I'd be interested in any stories that you have which could prove me wrong.

18. I know, theoretical situation.

19. A Regimental flag (as it would have been) is not just a "flag".
    This one is extra special in that it was the first carried ashore at Gallipoli.
    As far as the remark about Roman Standards, they traditionally served the same role.
    They were displayed at HQ (on the battlefield) and carried "into battle" and used as a symbol and sometimes a rally point.
    By the way, it was in temporary storage whilst the place it was permanantly displayed is renovated. It was most certainly not "forgotten".