Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

G2 Throttle Tamer

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Dionikon, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I figured I would document my experiences with a G2 Throttle Tamer on my 2005 Ducati Monster 620 Dark.

Ok, so after riding my Monster for a few months I decided that something needed to be done about the throttle snatch. The issue is definitely 100% rider error more than a problem with the bike but I have never seemed able to improve the situation no matter how much I tried.

So last week I bought a throttle tamer from www.g2ergo.com The idea of these things is that the throttle cam is a different radius for the start of the throttle twist than the end, which is supposed to mean easier throttle control. It also has super slippery whydouneedium bushings inside the replacement throttle tube which is supposed to make the throttle lighter.

So yesterday it arrived, with little to no installation instruction and a not saying that if you don't know what you're doing to get a professional bike mechanic to do it. Being the novice mechanic that I am I figured I could do it on my own. \\:D/

The installation is a piece of cake, remove the grip and throttle housing, then slip the new machined aluminium tube into the slot with the new cam attached, then re-attach everything. It's literally 2 screws and 2 bolts to remove and then replace and that's it. In the process I noticed that the throttle cable itself was quite dry and sticky so I added a couple of drops of oil to the cable which made it feel much smoother. Once this is done, put the grip back on, adjust the throttle cable, and that's it. It took around 10 minutes to complete the whole job.

So does it work?

Well on first impressions it has made a huge difference, and the throttle is much MUCH lighter than before. The throttle is much more manageable, although it does feel strange as you switch from the smaller part of the cam to the bigger.

Having only ridden to work though it's a bit early for a proper comment on how much difference it has made to the throttle whilst cornering, which is what I really wanted it for in the first place.

I will keep reporting back on my thoughts / opinions on this as I put more miles on it.

2. Some of the KTM twin blokes are doing this as well,from what I hear from them its to do with how sensitive the fuel injection is to tiny throttle movements
  3. Ok, so I've had a bit more of a ride with the new throttle now.

The biggest place I notice the difference is on the freeway funnily enough. Maintaining a constant speed of 100 km/h is much easier due to the significantly lighter throttle and slightly because of the new cam.

In corners the difference is certainly noticeable aswell. Rolling on the throttle when tipping the bike into a corner is far easier to get right. The fact that there is less cable being pulled at the beginning of the throttle rotation means that you have a much greater margin for error, which in turn makes cornering much easier.

Thus far I am quite impressed with the difference it has made given the small amount of time I have spent riding with it.

This weekend I will be heading for the hills to give it a more thorough work out so I'll update again next week.

4. very interesting.
    any downsides, hidden dangers ?
  5. Just guessing, but ...

If the action slows down at the start, then it must either go on for longer, (meaning you need to upgrade your wrist joint or take two handfuls of throttle) or it must speed up by a corresponding amount somewhere near the end. Could make the business of getting fully open as the bike nears upright a bit more touchy.

... who am I trying to kid? It's a 620 Monster - You'll be fine!
  6. So its a logarithmic throttle?

Throttle plates which open exponentially in relation to the throttle handle angle.

That actually sounds like a very good idea.
  7. I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of turn there is in the throttle overall, it is noticeably easier to turn at the beginning and you can feel when the larger cam kicks in and there is slightly more tension. Once you are rolling it on it is actually quite easy to adjust for the larger cam half way through the twist. With the stock throttle tube it was near impossible to get a smooth roll on started, for me at least. :)

It's much more intuitive than it sounds. ;)
  8. Was the bike 'snatchy' when it was new?
    I'm thinking, was part of the problem the dry cable??
  9. Ducatis, and most twin cylinder bikes, have a habit of being twitchy on the throttle due to the high torque at low revs (mines only a 620 so it was never really that bad).

So I've spent a whole day on the bike today doing both spurs, chum creek road, and a few others that I don't remember the names of.

Final verdict = Win!

If you have a 2 cylinder bike that's snatchy on the throttle then it's well worth the $100 (Inc postage).

Throttle control in corners is now a piece of cake when before it was a constant frustration for me.

I'm off to find some more corners.