Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZX250 Zeal Bottoming Out

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by miicah, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Hi, not sure this is the right place to put this but I've noticed that when I bounce on my bike in the garage, or have to go over a big bump (ie up my curb) I can feel the rear end bottoming out. I assume it's because I am over the weight limit of the bike by 15-20kg, but is there anything else I can do? The stiffness setting is set to 4 (1 is softest, 5 hardest) and I don't have the tool to adjust it.

Only reason I ask, is I'll have to keep this bike for at least 6-12 months and don't want it to bottom out in a corner and ruin my day.

2. Make sure your tyre pressure is good and high (check the label for the numbers, don't just pump it up till it's over 9000) and find/borrow/whatever the tools to wind up the preload to full.
  3. is it going clunk and bottoming out? or just stiffening up with no metallic clunk?
    should be able to bodge up a makeshift tool to twist the shock adjusters.. or even a pair of multigrips at a stretch

some mentions on internets about fitting CB400 rear shocks, needs bushings made up.
    also something about R6R shocks? (not R6S??) but maybe a US thing...

4. Yes, just from looking at it then it seems when I bounce on it I can get the shock to go through it's full travel. Can you replace springs on motorcycle shocks like you can on a car? Just seems like I need a stiffer spring. Also CB400 shocks are the same length, but some of them have this thing hanging off the side which wouldn't fit (plastic in the road).