Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZR400 1WG forks question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by buzzawak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hi all, Got my self a FZR400 1WG off ebay last night which is arriving this Tuesday night.

The bike was low sided in a slow corner, so there is some damage to the fairing and the tail light needs replacing + one blinker.

Also the seller discribed the following problem:

"The front suspension is VERY spongy. I believe the seals are blown - I think it occurred when I had it strapped down on my trailer, however I can't be sure. This will be need fixing before it can be ridden."

My question is, could strapping the bike down have caused the possible blown seals ? Also what other fault could be causing the spongy forks.

Thanks in advance for scratching your brains.

2. My FZR250 the front forks were way too soft. I had to have spacers made up to add some preload.

3. New seals and oil would fix it.

Yes, strapping it down will blow the seals if a spacer is not used between yolk
    and front wheel, stops the forks being compressed.

4. Thanks for the replies, Going to get some seals and oil for it