Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZR250 Fuel Tap problem

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by aus_dragon, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I recently bought a FZR250, bike runs great and is mechanically A1. The only thing is that the past owner use to run the bike constantly on reserve and when I was cleaning it on the weekend I turned the fuel tap only to find that when I did it started leaking.

I asume this is due to the o-ring drying out from lack of use and when I turned the tap the seal was broken allowing fuel to seep out around the top. It is a very slow leak - about 1 drip every 30 secs, and is therefore very hard to pin point exactly where it is originating, the fuel just seems to appear as if it is seeping from somewhere.

The question I had is, is it possible to bypass the fuel tap altogether and just runs the reserve line form the tank straight to the carby. I considered possibly putting a t section between the res and normal pickups from the tank and then running a single line to the carby, but was not sure if this would cause problems.

The bike is overdue for rego and I am wanting to get it passed this week but am worried that this minor leak my cause a problem (it isn't leaking onto the engine just dripping to the inside of the fairing). Please excuse my ignorance, although I am mechanically minded, this is my first bike and therefore first dealings with res taps etc.

Any help that can be offered would be great.
    Thanks
    Nathan

2. why not just put it back to reserve for rego. They won't check that.

Afterwards get a kit for the tap.

3. Thanks iblast I thought of just doing that but the only problem I saw was that there is a distinct petrol smell because of the small seep and I wasn't sure if they would investigate further if they smelt the fuel. :?

As I mentioned I am only new to bikes so I am unsure of how much and exactly what they look at for rego :p :roll: . If it was a cage on the other hand there would be no probs :p I know them like the back of my hand.................hey where did that mole come from :p :LOL: :p :LOL: .

If no-one else has any other suggestions I might try doing that this afternoon as I want to get her registered so I can start getting out on her on a regular basis. The wait is killing me and it's only been 3 days :p :shock: :LOL:

Cheers
    Nathan