Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by pete the freak, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Just a curiousity post...

Honda do CBR's. Their top of the line flagship sports bike is the CBR1000RRRRR. And their old learner boy racer wannabe bike is the CBR250RRRR

Same with Kawa, ZX10R is the biggie, ZX2R (or ZXR250) is the learner model.

Same with Suzuki, GSXR's, although their GSXR250 seemed not to make an appearance here.

So whats the deal with Yamaha??? Their learner/grey import 250 racer is the FZR250, and yet their flagship is the YZF (R1).

I did a little looking and noticed that the YZF seemed to replace the FZR in about 1995-96.

So the question is, why the name change??? What's the difference between a FZR and a YZF?? Why no 250 or 400 YZF - surely there must be a market in japan and europe??

Just thinking out loud here....
  2. The FZR1000 was kind of competing with the ZX-9R - real world bikes both of them, with some ability for track use but almost sports-tourers in today's market. When the YZF-R1 came in, it (like the ZX-10R) was basically the start of the current trend of building racebikes and making a few concessions for the road.

When did the Superbike rules begin allowing 1000cc 4-cyclinder bikes?

In most manufacturers' terms, an F in the model number denotes a road-friendly bike - ie. CBR600F or GSX-F750 as opposed to racers like the CBR600RR or GSX-R750. I dunno what the Y stands for, that's probably the key.

Take a look at this:
    "Super Sport Yamahas have been prefixed YZF since 1994, but are mostly known by their last initials: R1 or R6 (1,000-cc or 600-cc). The FZ1 and FZ6 are less extreme. YZ signifies barebones motocross bikes and an F suffix--YZ450F, for example means it has a four-stroke engine. WR and TT models are more moderate off-roaders."

From here: http://www.namedevelopment.com/articles/motorcycle_names.html
  3. Oh, I missed this:

"Brooks recalls that the YZ dirt bike prefix came into use "because they were the last two letters in the alphabet--literally the last word.""

So... Yah. No good reason!
  4. the fzr ais the learner racer bike because yamaha do not make a 250 in a race style, and havent since around about 94 95 when the fzr were phased out, just like you cant buy a actual 98 model cbr250, r or rr you may see them advertised as 98 99 00 models but that is just when they were complienced, when the fzr was phase out came the yzf600r and yzf1000r then the design was modified in 98 and brought us the r1 n r6

the change in prefix is just a indication in change of model and design
  5. Well they actually did make a 400 version of the FZR -it just never came to Australia. Shame really, cause as numerous people have said to me they are the best damn fun to ride. I would nearly agree with them -but I happen to ride a VFR400 so that puts an end to that :LOL:
  6. Have to admit, when I first saw the 'YZF' designation I did wonder for a moment if it was a street bike powered by Yamaha's awesome 2 stroke YZ motocross engine. That'd be a beast!