Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZ8 - Now available

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by warnabrother, Jul 18, 2010.

1. So I saw one yesterday in the flesh..
    Sat on it, poked and prodded...

But did not get to ride it..

What a dissapointment..

no adjustment what so ever on the front forks.. not even preload..
    non radial brakes - although they are monoblock
    and a very shitty looking exhaust that looks like it's been painted with a flat black spray can

it does look good for a naked from the front.. but I was expecting more considering all the hype..

oh and dearer than what I can get a new FZ1-N for
  2. They seem priced better here than what the Brits are being asked.

$1000 off the CB1000R now, and down a good bit from the original ask. The MPE site says an MLP of $15 990.

That's somewhat above the FZ8 but that's a lot of premim naked bike for the money.
  3. CB1000R's can be had now for just under $15K rideaway.. and IMO, is a HEAPS better bike than this FZ..
  4. Its a reply to the well-selling Z750 as far as I can tell, and thats all.

It'd interest fellows like myself, who are after a bike thats a bit more than what they're sued to on restrictions. Nothing mental, just a bit of a torque powerhouse that isn't too dissapointing at the topend.

FWIW, I reckon they look ok. Things like adjust & radial brakes don't particularly faze me, but I do want a usable engine and a properly sized chassis. As for the engine, the reason you can pick up an FZ1-N for cheap is that their engine is the 20-valve four-pot that traces its way back to the '87 FZR1000. Nothing wrong with it, but the development costs are well paid off by Yamaha and thus the lower price.

Cheers - boingk
  5. setting the sag on a motorcycle is THE most important adjustment/improvement you can make to the handling of any bike..

having NO preload (let alone rebound and compression) adjustment does not allow this to be done without opening the forks and changing springs and/or spacers
  6. No preload? Hmm. Well, I seem to have gotten away without one for the last 4 bikes I've used for riding. I'll also go as far as saying that I gave a few people a run for their money on occaision... regardless of the sh!thouse bikes I've owned.

Perhaps if you're that interested in the handling/adjustments you'd be looking at another freakin' bike? Seriously, don't flame a bike for not having competition-style features if you're not looking at a competition-style bike. If you were after handling then you sure as f*** wouldn't be riding a goddamn pig of a ~210kg kerb weight naked bike. Go get a 600 supersports and gaze in awe at its shiny twin discs and CNC-machined suspension adjustment dials whilst you're at the cafe. FFS mate...

Have a good one regardless - boingk
  7. Not having any adjustment on the front forks or radial brakes wouldn't bother me if the price reflected this but for the price they will charge for this bike you should expect these things as standard as I'm sure there are competitor bikes that have them and are cheaper, so a missed opportunity Yamaha!
  8. so, you don't think sag is important to set on a bike.. christ.. bikes costing half what they are asking for the FZ8 have at the very least a preload adjustment..

WTF has preload got to do with "competition style" or looking at "adjustment dials" while at the cafe..
  9. Yeah, sorry for that mate I was not in a good mood when I wrote it. Probably should have restrained myself. Oh well, no point in retracting it now. I would have said the same thing if I was in a good mood, but without being hostile and irate.

I get the point that all you've mentioned is important, and that for the price you could do better, but for a newly released bike in this economic climate I'd say they're doing pretty well. I would also take the CB1000 over this. Hell, my actions speak louder than my words - I'm looking at a mid 80's GSX-R1100! I'm sure the new FZ8 would handle better than that, regardless of its shortcomings.

Cheers - boingk
  10. no drama's mate.. I took no offence..
    but for a bike that Yamaha themselves are touting as high performing naked, not including the most basic of suspension adjustment is poor form..
    BTW, I own 2 x Yamaha's
  11. The Street Triple has no adjustment.

Isn't slow in the twisties but.
  12. never said anything about being slow or fast..

but imagine how much more comfy (plush), and quicker (valving being able to do it's job correctly) it could be with the forks not near the end of their travel if you are 85-90kg's plus..

if you are 70kg's, well that is a different story.. both these bikes will most likely be spot on in relation to sag..
  13. I wonder how different it is from the FZ6, the CB1000R is a lot more bike than the FZ6 ever was, so for comparable money, you'd want the FZ8 to have something up it's sleeve.
  14. A smaller piston diameter, for a start...
  15. Geez, you poor b@stard...

On a more serious note, from what I've heard the frame is essentially the same as the FZ1N.

- boingk
  16. I am with Warna on this one , for a $K over the CB1000R it should have been summin special instead of a parts bin special . I rode the CB100R some time ago ,,,very nicenekkid if you dont tour two up .
    On the note of non adjustable suspenders I sat on the new VFR last week , nice ergos but again the front suspenders is only adjustable for preload?? on a bike where the load difference would be huge from say solo scooting to two up long distance touring, again I would say bad move Honda .
  17. Preload on the front seems fine for a tourer - what else do you need is the spring rates and damping are both set well from factory? Granted they won't work with every situation, but it should see you out quite well if its been set up properly by Big H.

On another note, why not just go ride the damn thing and see if you like it? No point bitching about items you find you don't actually need to enjoy the ride. Hell, I took an early CBR1000F for a ride and it impressed me with its nimbleness and power. Go figure.

- boingk
  18. :-s
    Go ride a well set up Sports Tourer that has proper adjustable suspension and one that is well set up to suit your weight etc ,Then go ride a bike with bargin basement front suspension , come back and give us a report .If you reckon the non adjustable bargin basement job is OK then you need to be riding for Fiat Yamaha , I hear they are looking for a new rider when the Doc leaves for Ducati. ](*,).

Sorry dude if this sound harsh but when you adjust the preload you need to adjust everything else. Suspension sag is only one third the story.
  19. Boingk,

Would you consider a later model GSXR1000 ? I understand, from earlier reading, that you prefer an older model for your long rides/touring needs.

I was after the same thing - a supersport that would (prior to being used solely as a track bike) fulfill my touring needs as well. I was lucky to find a GSXR1000 K5, which I rode to Sydney and back last month. Not once did I feel sore (apart from the freezing f***ing cold !!!), with the longest distance on the saddle before a fuel stop/stretch being 190km (don't ask what time this was done in...:) ) ! The bike performed very admirably.

I do admire older sportsbikes for their sheer brutal power and appearance and the fact that supersports of today were revolutionised from legendary bikes of yesteryear.

Good luck with your search mate and be sure to post pics of your soon-to-be-purchased weapon (y)
  20. sirprice - I do agree with you, but the fact that one thing is better than another will not persuade me that this 'better thing' is, in fact, a must-have item. It is, however, nice to have.

Nickers777 - Never really been into the whole modern supersport kinda crowd. I would like something racy with awesome handling, but at the same time I like the old gruntmasters of yesteryear. I can also afford them, haha. I ended up getting the 1100 and it performs very well, provided you lend it some muscle in the twisties. As for freezing, forgeddaboudit! I rode through Kangaroo Valley at dusk and was warm as toast - mostly due to the excellent fairing on the GSX-1100F.

CHeers guys - boingk