Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZ6R and registration

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by madrush28, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and a new rider, got my RE in January. I'm looking for some advice regarding a brand new 2011 FZ6R I bought. I absolutely love the bike but there appears to be a problem with the rego.
    Anyway I've been riding it for a few weeks and now I get the registration label in the mail from Qld Transport. Only problem is the label indicates that it is not a LAMS approved bike. I figured there must be some kind of stuff up because the Yamaha dealer sold it too me specifically becuase it was a LAMS approved bike and the Yamaha website says it's Learner approved as well.
    Anyway I called the dealer and they said that it wasn't a problem because the FZ6R is actually an XJ6 when it comes into australia and that there should be a letter from Yamaha explaining the situation under the seat. Well there was no letter but there was a maintenance manual for a XJ6FA. The VIN plate also indicates that it's an XJ6.
    So I'm pretty confident that the Bike is LAMS approved but I'm concerned that the registration says the bike is an FZ6R and not LAMS approved. I'm pretty sure that if a copper pulls me over he's not going to want to look at a letter from Yamaha.

It seems to me that the bike should have been registered as an XJ6 rather than an FZ6R. Has anyone encounter this sort of problem before? I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm guessing that a fine for invalid registration isn't going to be a cheap one.

Thanks in advance!
  2. I guess if you do get fine you can accept it on the spot and then contest it later on, just send them the prove showing that it's an XJ6.
  3. Thanks PEEair, but I'd rather not have to fight that fight and also I might want to sell the bike in 12 months time as a LAMS bike. A learner is going to look for that label.

4. The bike is actually as follows, from the Queensland LAM's list..

XJ6FL (Must obtain manufacturers certification letter)

I suggest going back to the dealer & requesting the letter be provided..

Does the rego label say FZ6R??? Because that is not actually the model's true name here, maybe that is what causes confusion, possibly the label should just say XJ6FL.
  5. Hi Pilgrim

Yeah the rego says FZ6R so I think your right, I'll go back to the dealer and see if I can get it sorted out.

Thanks for the advice.
  6. Make the dealer sort it out, did you buy it new?
  7. Sorry had this page open for awhile & didn't refresh before I posted.
  8. Dealer needs to sort it. my 2011 bike was originally registered as a 2001 by the dealer - assume a simple typo. got the dealer to fix it and a new rego lable showed up in the post a week later