Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

FZ6N crankshaft position sensor

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ghost_fz6, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Hi guys

I have a 2004 FZ6n.

I am having trouble starting my bike, when i press the button i cna hear the buzzing noise of the starter button so i dont think its a starter solenoid.

I tried charging the battery to 100% with a portable charger but that does nothing, and push starting it but same result it almost turns over, jsut to the point where it almost starts up but then dosent.

ITs throwing up a check engine light and 12-- which is supposed to be a crankshaft position sensor?

So my questions are

- is there an easy fix?
    - how much does this part cost and how hard is it to replace?
    - i have been looking at some wreckers that have old R1's and R6's from 2000-2004, so im wondering if i can get a cheap sensor from one of these old bikes will it be compatible with my bike?

2. Hi Ghost_fz6

Go and introduce yourself in the Welcome lounge, it is the done thing around here. :)

Regarding your specific issue, I have no direct knowledge of your bike but they are generally Hall effect sensors that detects the crank as it passes one spot in its 360 degree rotation. A part approximately $50 - $100 in value and fairly easy to replace. pickuprotor.