Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Future Inovation

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ibast, Sep 12, 2005.

1. This has been touched on recently, in a couple of forums.

things have been pretty slow lately, in terms of true inovation in motorcycles.

So what would you like to see tried on motorcyles.

I'll start the ball rolling with: Continously Variable Transmission.

You could have the rev point selector on your left handle grip.
  2. Not a suggestion, but a question.
    We have traction control on cars, what would be a similar application on bikes? (controlling power input, etc)
  3. don't they have a launch thing on GP bikes? And I vagely remember somthing on a road bike. A tourer/sports toruer. Honda maybe.
  4. The biggest problem with CVTs at least in cars fitted with them is that when vehicle speed increases there is no corresponding change in engine revs which makes it very difficult to maintain a consistent speed. It would be nice though to see bike manufacturers fitting smaller engines with superchargers which should give good performance or good fuel economy depending on how you want to ride.
  5. Scooters and cruisers don't count as bikes. :p
  6. Yep, and the President of the Flat Earth Society has just returned from his third along the world trip!!
  7. The problem with superchargers is that they use so much energy to drive them and they create so much heat. Both of these mean you are wasting power.

Also, on a small engines they become relativly big, by comparison.

So the result is your fuel consuption goes up at a greater rate then power gain.

This is why turbos are looked upon so fondly. From a thermodynamic point of view they utalise power that is otherwise wasted.

Supercharges on the other hand are pulling themselves up by the bootlaces a bit.
  8. Turbos do have some adavantages but have been tried before on bikes with less than succesful results - lag is always going to be a problem which you don't get with supercharging. The other advantage to supercharging is that it doesn't always need to be "on". By using a magnetic clutch the supercharger can be designed to only kick in when extra power is needed so fuel consumption can be kept low.
  9. Yes, a turbo does harness 'wasted' kinetic energy to force more air into the engine. This is good, but has two major drawbacks:

1. 'Lag', everybody knows that one...

2. Exhaust inefficiency, less well known. While turbocharging increases the amount of air that can be inducted into a motor, it has the opposite effect on how easily this can be exhausted again. This reduces the positive pressure differential between the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine resulting in power loss not radically different to the drain caused by a supercharger.
  10. Modern turbos have very, very little lag. EFI and better turbine design has seen to that.

supercharges have also seen some decent modern touches, such as twisted lobes and the sprintax compression type.

these are much better then the straight roots type.

Still I can't see it happening. You may as well be carring around another cylinder as carrying a supercharger.

also a turbos power is exponential to revs, whereas superchargers is linear. i .e more power potential from the turbo.
  11. I don't really get why?

Surely if the revs are with an opropriate range for the load, then it should be great a maintaing speed.

Perhaps existing examples are a bit "dumb", in that they don't componsate for load.
  12. Turbos also produce large amounts of heat.
  13. Yep and it's a problem.

they don't, however heat the charge that much. At least not as much as supercharges. Nothing that can't be fixed be an intercooler.
  14. It's a problem with say cruising at 100kph where if you inadvertantly increase pressure on the accelerator the engine revs won't change but the speed will so unless you keep a constant eye on the speedo you can easily get pinged by a speed camera. Obviously cruise control or even a speed alert would eliminate this problem most of the cars with CVT are bargain types which don't have such features.

15. I am not game to make definitive predictions. I find it interesting that aircraft engines (where both the Supercharger AND the Turbocharger first went into a production unit), started off choosing the Supercharger over the Turbo in the 1930's, but today pretty much only the turbo is in widespread use. With an order of magnitude more power than a motorcycle I don't suppose the Supercharger drive load is a big deal. So why Turbo's? Answer is simplicity and reliability, which are more important in an aircraft for obvious reasons than either cost or outright efficiency.
  16. Interesting to note that Peugeot are currently looking at producing a 125cc scooter fitted with a supercharger so clearly size and power requirements are not that great an issue. The supercharger also has the advantages of producing more low-end torque than an equivalent turbo which should make it ideal for modern 4-cylinder sportsbikes.
    Jetforce Scooter
    Also interesting to note that a supercharged 500cc BMW won the 1939 TT race.
  17. Even on a loose surface you can slam on the left-lever-operated brake as hard as you like and the scooter just comes to a stop with the front tyre on the limit of grip but never letting go for long enough to lock up.
    Is this their own system (always loved and admired Peugeot) or are all manufacturers using the same technology?
  18. The ABS system used on Peugeot scooters was developed by them in conjunction with FTE. Full Details

Incidentally another technology that would be good to see implemented on bikes, especially larger capacity tourers/cruisers etc would be turbo-diesel engines. Should offer excellent low-down torque with the added benefit of improved fuel economy not to mention improved engine braking.