Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Future for electric bikes could be improved

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pro-pilot, Dec 12, 2007.

1. http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/breakthrough-battery/2007/12/12/1197135506004.html

Breakthrough battery promises much longer life
    December 12, 2007 - 10:29AM

An empoyee of Toshiba displays a new Lithium-ion battery "SCiB" (Super Charge ion Battery), which can recharge to 90 percent of full capacity in less than five minutes.

A new battery that goes on sale next year can be fully recharged in five minutes and has a lifespan of more than 10 years.

Toshiba will start selling rechargeable batteries next year, launching itself into what is seen as a promising but increasingly competitive market.

Toshiba described the Super Charge ion Battery, or SCiB, as a "breakthrough rechargeable battery" that can be fully recharged in five minutes and has a lifespan of more than 10 years if completely run down and recharged once a day.

"The excellent performance of the SCiB will assure its successful application in industrial systems and in the electronic vehicles markets as a new energy solution," said Toshiba vice president Toshiharu Watanabe.

Japanese firms are vying to develop lithium-ion batteries that can be used in hybrid or electric vehicles, but there are safety concerns following recalls of millions of potentially flammable laptop computer batteries made by Sony.

Watanabe said Toshiba was satisfied that its battery was safe.

"The possibility of the battery catching fire is extremely low and it will not explode even if it ruptures," he told a press conference.

The company expects to start shipping the battery from March 2008 and has set a global sales target of $US895 million by the year to March 2016, by which it aims to have a market share of 10 per cent.

Toshiba hopes the SCiB will be used in battery-powered bicycles, motorcycles, electric forklift trucks and construction machinery, all of which already use rechargeable batteries, Watanabe said.

It also sees potential for their use in petrol-electric hybrid cars, pure electric vehicles and mobile telephones.

"Toshiba will ride with the trend set by automobile companies. When hybrids and electric cars become prevalent, the SCiB will probably be applied to them," said Toshiba general manager Shoshi Kawatsu, who oversees the project.

He declined to comment whether his company was in talks with car manufacturers.

"We will continue to advance development in this area so that when other companies launch their own batteries we will be ahead," he said.
  2. Ooh thankyou sir, we missed this one!
  3. fcuk it for cars and bikes, i just hope mobile phones start to come out with this baby........maybe it last longer then one day before charging :roll: :grin:
  4. "The possibility of the battery catching fire is extremely low...."

Mate, it would have to be farkin ZERO before I put it in a pocket six inches from my dangly bits.. :shock:
  5. If it can handle the peak output needs of RC Cars... then we are talking.
    And allowing for that... Peak output for bikes or cars could be a limitation for the batteries.
  6. Right, cos after millions of dollars in R&D, they forgot to cover that one.
  7. Not forgot at all.
    I am just pointing out that some battery technologies have fast charge, greate retention, and great field life, but only handle low peak output (Perfect for things like mobile phones). others have better peak output, but comonly the limitation of this is poor charge retention. i am just pointing out that untill we see teh technology leveredged and we get the chance to move beyond the sales hype, these are some of teh posible limitations.

But it's a nice find by PP, it could be a real step forward for many technologies.
  8. Forget hybrids - what we really need now is just a decent replacement for the lead-acid battery used in conventional vehicles. That'd basically eliminate the need to mine lead entirely which would be a major plus for the environment.
  9. Mate, you've got a can of explosives there already!! :LOL:
  10. I just figured due to the main focus of the article being a few of the things they could use it for, vehicles etc, then it must have been one of the primary design considerations, and that peak output values would be taken well into consideration for them to even be making the claim in the first place. But I agree, sales hype can definately be just that sometimes, it will be interesting to see just how well these units can perform. Like you said, what's the point of getting the power in in 5 mins, if it takes a week to get it all back out :shock: