Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Future Classic which and why...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Sep 27, 2005.

1. SWMBO's little Benelli has got me thinking. What will become a true classic in 25 years from now, and why.

There are some current 'classics' that were total crap when new, but are legends now, and there are bikes that were very popular when in production but never made it to 'classic'. So what makes a 'classic' and why?.

I will start by suggesting that all the most recently discontinued 2 stroke 250's (KR,RGV, NSR, Aprilia), will earn classic status. Why? because they are the very last of a breed, the 2 stroke is no more. So what else will get a guernsey and why?

2. WOW, interesting question.....

What will be a classic in 25 years. That means the bike is something special and is looked on by all, in this current generatio, with Envy..... or with disgust

I think the KTM SuperDuke will be a classic as it draws between sport bike and Super Motard

The Buell X1 series (older style) will become classics due to the massive transition to the newer models.

The BMW K1200 Naked fighter will become a classic as it is BMW's first push into a really tough and fast bike

GREAT POST by the way

3. I suggest that the Gold-Wing is already, if only for its fiendishly loyal US rider-base, but also because it sort of defined the large engine smooth tourer sector.
    And, as I suggested in an earlier similar vein, the Katana......

4. Maybe the Goldwing, but the Katana doesn't count as it is already becoming a classic. I am talking about current (or near so) bikes that will become FUTURE classics.

5. Yamaha SRV 250. It is a classy looking bike - elegantly simple, reminiscent of a past era. The Renaissa model will have a niche of its own because it was so rare. In a period when fairing was all the rage, the SRV was a sporty naked alternative for entry-level riders - much like the CB400/4 some 25 years before. Most importantly, it looked like a motorbike, rather than a Henry Moore sculpture on wheels.

6. How about the SPADA? A Jewel of a bike, built for only one year, and being slowly killed off by generations of learners. How many will survive another 25 years?

7. The first Hyabusas could be set to become classics especially since given the new "regs" in Europe it's unlikely that anything will ever have a higher top speed straight from the factory. The first of the "modern" Triumphs could also be seen as significant especially if the company continues to improve. The MT-01 might also rate in years to come either as the start of a new trend or an expensive flop.

8. I say this as a one-eyed Honda man. The Fireblade. Completely reinvented the sports bike genre. Already a cult bike with a massive following. And there will be plenty of them around in 25 years.

9. Possible. But I think the Ducati 916 beat Honda to that particular punch.

10. "True classic": Start by looking at what we consider to be classics now.

Some would say the true classic is the (original) Bonnie, others the Norton Dominator, some would nominate the Norton Rotary, the BSA Bantam, Harley WLA, a James 125, or a Honda 4. Velocette owners would argue the case for a KTT, Venom or LE. I've even heard the R100RS described that way (although the R90S is a stronger contender for 'classic' status). The list goes on and on and on.

With such a huge variety of bikes considered to be classics, picking a current bike set to acquire classic status in the future is a big ask.

I'd say in the BMWs, the K1200 because it is such a radical departure (although so was the K100, and -apart from the oddball K1 - it isn't a 'real' classic).

The MV F4 will probably achieve classic staus because in 25 years time young bucks who lust after it now will be able to afford used ones.

The GPX250 and Spada might make it because (as with the Bantam) in 30 years time there will be 50ish folk who look back with nostalgia at the bike they learned to ride on, and hanker to spend some time restoring one so they can relive their youth.

People might be inclined to spend time and effort in the future hunting up genuine Benellis (the handful that were built before production moved to China)

You'll still be able to buy a Chinese look-alike Benelli Tornado, and as with Enfield, some will find confusion in the coincidence of a European firearms manufacturer and an Asian maker of reproduction European motorcycles sharing a name.

I don't think any of the current 'retro' bikes will achieve classic status. You don't get there by faking it.

But then again, I could be wrong.

11. Honda released the Blade in '92, Ducati the 916 in 1994.

12. Interesting one that. It will without doubt become a classic in spite of being an appalling motorcycle. Below is a typical post from the Tornado Owners Group, the only owners group I have ever seen where a good 50% of the posts are about what a mistake it was to buy one. BUT IT WILL STILL BECOME A CLASSIC. The Chinese built bikes will probably eventually be sorted and reliable, but they probably WON'T make equivalent classic status.

I have been browsing your site to see if faults are conmmon on Benellis ,it seems they are I purchased a TNT as soon as one was availible as i really liked the look of the bike:) .within a couple hundred miles the rear shock blew its oil all over the rear wheel also losing all damping action making bikedangerously unrideable the rear shock was changed also front headlamp is melting on the inside from day one a cutting out problem a engine rattle rear brake squelling like a pig corrosion on engine casings now at 520 miles the bikes rear shock has yet again failed and bike has been at dealers now for 10 days also trying to get other problems sorted>: I would apprecate any thought on this as it is getting to the stage where I considering legal action to get a refund on the bike
    Thanks for any input

Wayne

13. No dispute with the chronology, just with whether the Fireblade or the 916 "Completely reinvented the sports bike genre" The 916 had a direct lineage to a current competion bike, only the RC30 could be described as equivalent, not the fireblade.

14. i think of sportsbikes more than anything, so my scope is fairly limited.

GSXR750/1100 (85/86) started the power to weight race replica sportsbike thing. i guess they're close to already classic being 20 years old, but just in case some people dont consider them to be yet.....

Fireblade (92?) really took power to weight to a new level. these things were WICKED fast and light as a feather with suspension and brakes to back them up. the GSXR got there first without a shadow of a doubt, but they all took years to match this.

ZX7R (96-03) i dunno, maybe i'm a bit biased but i reckon these things are just the ducks guts. rather than getting sucked into the power to weight thing on this one, kawasaki went for a bike that had the right amount of power and handling that makes it feel like its glued to the road. i reckon just about anyone that owns one knows EXACTLY why they own it :D sore arms, sore ass and sore knackers, you either love it or you hate it :LOL:

and yeah, the spada. overengineered and ridden by thousands of learners. i personally dont much like the little buggers, but yeah, its destined to be a classic long after everyone has forgotten all the other generic 250s

15. OK, today's bike destined to be revered in 20 year's time? Regrettably, probably the Triumph Rocket III, for putting a 2.3 litre engine in a frame but forgetting the other two wheels (!)

16. Probably the Spada - the short model run almost guarantees it.
    For BMWs - the K1200R - probably and the K1200S possibly.

The R90S already is a classic :LOL: it was the first serious high performance bike out of BMW (people forget that when it came out it was one of the best performing bikes of its day).

Leaving aside the late 60's Japanese (CB750, CB450, Suzuki GT750 etc)
    and looking at the more current models I'd say
    - in no particular order -

Harley Davidson Street Rod
    BMW K1200R
    BMW R1xxxGS
    Spada
    Across (for the same reasons people think Morris Minors are classics... :p .
    'busa
    R1/R6 etc.
    blackbird
    MV Agusta Brutale
    Benelli Tre
    Most Ducatis

In fact most current bikes are of such a quality that they'll be well regarded in 20-25 years time.

The really collectibles will be those are rare or were limited edition models in the first place such as Royal Enfield Diesels or any really expensive bike... Classics don't necessarily have to be good - just interesting or evoke a feeling of nostalgia (like Morris Minors :D - slow and generally pretty ordinary but they really evoke a sense of time and place)

TonyE

17. Yes I think that might be a winner. The other Triumph that I think will be a classic, possibly THE classic among the new triples, is the original pre-'street warrior' Speed Triple. This bike pretty much launched the new Triumph brand with a 'one make' racing series that was hugely popular in Europe, (but unknown in Australia). I think it could well become the 'T20 Bonneville' of the future.

18. This is a great topic just a thought though, what do the L platers think is a classic to be ??? What do they aspire to, it must be very limited in volume, very very expensive , and get every hormone buzzing ???

When i bought my 1981 Laverda Jota in 1986 it cost me 5.5 k a new Katana 1100 cost 4.5 k (run out) its now a classic in the eyes of most classic m/c mags and to me its just my bike that i lusted after it wasnt a classic then just a bike that most people said whats that ??

Now when I get a chance to ride it, I get people lining up to talk about it ask questions etc or more to the point I rode one of them once back in the Blah Blah Blah.

A classic is a result of media attention and the chance ride years ago, nothing more, and the result of never taking the chance to keep it,or lash out the cash to own your dream.

19. Cate Blanchett and to a lesser extent, Barbara Flynn.

Up there with Ingrid Bergman (who already is a classic, of course).

20. A couple of exotics you won't get to ride?? :shock: