Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuse broken?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by crysix, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hey guys

I'm just on the process of putting my Hyosung GT250R back together. I connected all the cables except one 2pin connecter which I had no idea of where it fitted to. Whilst Confused, I tried connecting that 2pin to some other electrical component (I dont know how to call it), which lead to my bike turning off (lights went off, spedometer went off).

Does that mean that the fuse beneath the rear seats is blown?

2. most likely.
  3. Almost impossible to say from the description.
    But if you're tackling a full rebuild, surely whipping the seat off for a look isn't beyond you?
  4. I have taken the fuse out, but how do i tell if its blown or not?
  5. The little metal strip inside will be broken. If you have a multimeter, the resistance will be infinite.
  6. haha the resistance will be INFINITE, yea i just had a look, one of the fuse blades had a broken strip. Do you know how to get these fuse blades easily? I can order from ebay, but i dont feel like waiting 3 or 5 days for it
  7. Your local servo.
  8. aight thanks
  9. Also check whether the bike has a spare fuse slot in the fusebox.
    If it doesn't have spares buy more than you need, and find somewhere to keep a couple of spares on the bike (it sucks to get stuck in the middle of nowhere because of a 20c part).
  10. haha yea, i just bought 10 spare fuse blades, its all running fine now and ive got spares to survive.

11. Simple question, what would happen if you put a 20amp fuse into a 15amp slot?
  12. i belive, if the slot is meant for 15 amps, it means that anything above 15 amps travelling through that curcuit is able to damage the curcuit. Hence if u put a 20amp fuse, ur allowing currents between 15amp - 20amps to travell through and this could damage the circuit.
  13. Think of your circuit as a chain made up of links. One link is the fuse, one link is the wiring, another link is whatever the circuit is driving, maybe a light bulb, maybe something more expensive like a starter motor or an an alternator. If something goes wrong and you put too much power into the circuit something, on of the links, will cook. The whole idea of a fuse is to create a deliberate "weak link" so that if something goes wrong and you draw too much power the fuse blows out and breaks the circuit before your wiring or an expensive component blows out.

If nothing goes wrong having the wrong fuse probably won't matter.

However if something does go wrong and the circuit draws more power than it's meant to, If you put a higher rated fuse in it won't blow when it should. A 15 amp fuse is designed to blow when it draws 15 amps. If you put a 20 amp fuse in a slot for a 15 amp it won't blow until the circuit draws 20 amps. However the 20 amps may have already cooked other things in the circuit.

Fuses cost a few cents. Rewiring or buying new electonic components for the bike costs a lot more.
  14. What about if you're having something blowing the fuse all of the time (I'm hoping to track the likely culprit down before I send it in to be fixed - bike shops are crims in a garage).
  15. You're in Ipswich aren't you mate?

Shoot me a PM with details of the issue, may be able to give you a hand (I'm in Bundamba).
  16. then go fix it, I had the same problem with my hyo, where the cable running down to the speedo sensor, had a little cut cause it got stuck to the brake disc, and it exposed the inner cables, and i had trouble starting up the bike and my fuse kept blowing (3 times i think), so i had to fix the cable up and now no more blown fuse :)
  17. Well I have compiled a list of when it's blown. Maybe someone will have an idea from that. It does have a pattern.

Items listed as being on fuse :
    Turn (note Indicators)
    Tail Stop
    (note neutral light also on fuse)

Fuse blown at :
    Starting the bike in gear
    Putting bike into gear after startup
    Slowing down to turn into driveway (in 1st gear?)
    Idling in neutral for 2 minutes
    Doing 3 point turn on side of road

There's something that I'm going to look at, but was still seeking more knowledgeable ideas on probable cause.
  18. If I can't manage to solve it via the forum etc, I might take that offer up.
  19. You probably have more than one fuse protecting various circuits. I assume you are blowing the same fuse each time (otherwise unless it is just coincidence it's going to get tricky). Which fuse are you blowing? That may help narrow things down.
  20. It's the same 15amp fuse. The items listed are on that fuse. All of the fuse failures have occurred in a specific area of operation, relating to being in neutral or 1st gear.