Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Further thoughts of a new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Cheeks, Mar 29, 2015.

1. My second week of motorcycle riding is over, with a ride this morning on the Eastern freeway out to Ivanhoe. I didn't expect the wind to punch so hard into my chest, and my head was nearly torn off trying to look behind me. However, it was actually pretty easy, though I'm glad I chose a time when there wasn't much traffic. I was surprised at how manoeuvrable the little z300 is at speed and found that riding in 60km zones felt much easier after. The bike seems solid at freeway speed, but I don't have anything to compare it too yet. I only went to 110 then backed off as the engine is being run in, but the bike seemed to enjoy getting away from the stop-start of city traffic. Lord knows I did. Longer rides are now in planning, and the second week has brought me more confidence and a little calm too. Cars now seem so cumbersome, ugly and unnecessary! I am working to improve my slow riding by trying to stay on the balls of my feet and using the rear brake a little as I downshift. I still get a little muddled shifting up to second if crossing tram tracks or entering a turn slowly. This I am working on... I think I can rely on second gear to pull me through anything but I dnt always do so. Otherwise, it is a slow but immensely enjoyable and gratifying upward curve. Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me, and good luck to those in similar shoes to mine. This motorcycle thing is the good shit!

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thanks for the positive post! I passed my Ls a week back and have been getting really down cause of the nay sayers around me. Can't wait to get a bike and start improving! Nice work btw.
  3. Well done :] don't worry about the gear changes I still stuff it up occasionally 3 years in.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hey LouisLouis, go for it! This husband and father of 2 had nay-sayers a-plenty. I'm having so much fun doing this, and it's got nothing to do with anyone else. My choice, my huge grin. Enjoy mate.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thanks :) glad you're having fun with it!
  6. The gears and all sorts of road craft skills take practice. Despite popular belief, nobody was born able to ride.

Well almost nobody,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Keep riding.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Awesome to hear you're doing well. We all have to start from somewhere.. Wind buffeting is something that takes a bit to get used to. Riding is a bit like trial by fire.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks all, and yes it's been an absolute trial by fire JayteeJaytee. I reckon years of push bike riding has given me reasonable road awareness, but nothing prepares you for the acceleration. Still, I'm just starting to get accustomed to the fact that it's my bike. Feels like something to marvel at from afar and to approach carefully at first lest I startle it. Can't wait to slip into the saddle in morning.
  10. Hey Cheeks, I went down the Eastern into the city this morning (around 8am) and then back out this afternoon (around 4:30).
    Going in it was calm, but cold. Coming back out there was a noticeable headwind, but not too much.
    Cars also give off a significant buffeting wind. As you came up behind one you'll notice the wind and buffeting increase at about 30m depending on the size of the vehicle.
    It will get worse until you get right up behind them and into their slipstream, but that's not somewhere you ever want to spend time as you can't see what's happening in front of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Screw the naysayers. They're just jealous that they don't have the courage to take up a new hobby/lifestyle/interest.
    You're the one on the bike, so you're the one winning! :D
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Hi CheeksCheeks and LouisLouis, come to saturday practise if you can make it. Its a great place to learn with some very experienced guys and gals to give pointers and feedback. I got my Ls in Nov and pass my license in Feb with no previous motorcycle riding experience ...saturday practise helps. I commute on the Eastern daily so if you see a fluoro orange back pack riding nearby ... flash me a thumbs up or a wave. Have fun and remember ... safety is in your hands.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Nice write up, keep at it CheeksCheeks
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hey SilverRSilverR, thanks and I'll keep an eye out for you. Where is the Saturday practice? Time is tight for me, but I might be able to make a few. I appreciate the positive words on here, some good folks out there. A colleague at work went for a ride on my bike recently when he came around to have a look. He rode a lot when he was younger but hasn't had a bike for years. A week later and he's put a deposit down on a Ducati 900ss... he's infected (or is it some kind of relapse?) As for me, I'm all in now, and my family simply like it that I'm happy.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Practise is held in Elwood starting 10am ish. Check out Events-> Vic thread titled Saturday practise for more info.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hahahaha! It's called an addiction. Suffer from it myself :cyclops: