Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

funny facts

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by D Stump, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 1] babies don't have knee caps. they develop between 6mths and 2 yrs.

2] the invention of toilet paper didn't take off until they made it into seperate squares. people prefered to use sticks & leaves

3] the enginering principles we use to build buildings are exactly the same as in an ant hill.

4] antibiotics were developed when a scientist wondered why ants keep touching each other in transit [they pass antibodies around the colony]

5] i cant think of any others just now.

you got any?
  2. England can score 551 runs in the first innings and still lose a Test Match :LOL:
  3. Third highest first inning total to lose the match too I believe.
  4. It's impossible to sneaze with your eyes open
  5. (apparently) humans cannot lick (kiss) their own elbow. (not sure I wanna know whoever discovered that)
  6. #2 has me a little concerned D Stump....WTF would you use a stick for ? :shock: :shock: :shock:
  7. Worker ants can carry 50 times their own weight. Worker ants are always female.

Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete!

The average temperature of the south pole is -56 degrees fahrenheit. The North Pole's average temperature is -21 degrees fahrenheit.

The saying "it's so cold out there it could freeze the balls off a brass monkey" came from when they had old cannons like ones used in the Civil War. The cannonballs were stacked in a pyramid formation, called a brass monkey. When it got extremely cold outside they would crack and break off... thus the saying. (i'm pretty sure this is from way before this)

40 Percent of the people that fall off a horse are drunk. (speed is this you??)

The average person has a vocabulary of 5000-6000 words.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors.
  8. A top alcohol drag car has the spark equivalent to that of an arc welder in each cylinder.

You use more calories eating celery than there are in the celery itself.

You will find more germs on your cutting board than on your toilet seat.

The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

In Tokyo, a bicycle is faster than a car for most trips of less than 50 minutes!
  9. In compression or tension?
    While we're on materials the strength of metals is significantly weaker than their theoretical strength due to the presence of defects (or dislocations). Extremely fine filaments of a metal however do exhibit the metals true strength - this was first noticed on thin strands of copper that "grew" between the contacts of morse code keys (which are extremely strong). This also means that a monofilament of steel is actually many times stronger than a spider web.
  10. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you're only two seconds away from death...

:LOL: :LOL: :p
  11. -A baby echidna is called a "puggle".

That's all you need to know.
  12. - A tiger's paw prints are called pug marks
    - A starfish has 5 limbs & can reagrow 4 of them as long as the central body is not harmed
    - The average weight loss of a racehorse during a race is btwn 6-10kg
    - A male fox mates for life. If the female dies he remains single.

And my favourite,
    - Ever notice when you dial a wrong number it's never busy !
  13. but they stick back together better than concrete....i''ve got the scars to prove it :wink:
  14. That's wrong, my brother trained himself for a couple of years to be able to do it. And he can, I've seen it. He reckons he did it in case he sneezed while on the race track, so he wouldn't lose vision...
  15. You can also break a rib sneezing and holding a sneeze back can burst blood vessels in you brain

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off its fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.
  16. hehe! awesome thread :grin:

according to the NRC (us nuclear regulatory commission), the radiation released by a cup of coffee is enough to treat it as low level radioactive waste.
  17. glass is not actually a solid, it is always viscous. however the viscous flow is so slow that in order for you to actually measure it, in your lifetime the bottom end of your window would only have sagged enough to be read with a micrometer.

the pigment used in tattoos does not "fade" as many are lead to believe, it is actually layers of collagen formed around the pigment everytime it is exposed to sun, or any kind of skin stress (including rubbing of an item of clothing). the layers of collagen could be compared to covering a page in a magazine with layers of cling-wrap, eventually detail and colour will not be as visible.
  18. you cant make pineapple jelly using pineapple, it contains an enzyme similar to what your body uses to break down protein.
  19. Parents with blue eyes will always have blue eyed children.

.... my brother and I are living proof.

Also, blue eyed men tend to choose blue eyed women as partners.

20. The "glass" used for windows etc is a crystalline solid, it does not flow over time. This is a common misconception that arose when people noticed old windows were thicker at the bottom, however that's simply a result of how the glass was made then (by spinning). True glass (ie volcanic glass) is still technically a liquid, however it's viscosity is so incredibly high that it'll crystallise before it ever flows (and even that usually takes 20 million years or more).