Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fun With Leaky Parts

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by Not4Resale, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Garrrr….

Looks like I've got a fun leak that (from my limited knowledge) looks like it is coming from the coolant system. Linked is a video of the jet stream.

For the moment I've bought some more coolant and refilled the radiator/overfill tank and taped up the hole with electrical tape to try and slow the leak…

However, I've been unable to identify the part in the manual so that I can order a genuine replacement. The closest thing I could find to what I need is the following:

But for what it is, I think the guy is asking for too much.

For the more mechanically inclined, do you

a) Know where I can better source the part
    b) Think it looks complicated enough to pass it onto a professional.

From my assessment, if there aren't any special tools required I suspect I will have to:

1. Drain the coolant from the bike
    2. Remove the seat and possibly the fuel tank if I don't have access
    3. Replace the valve + hose
    4. Reconnect fuel tank and replace seat
    5. Refill coolant
    6. Leave it running to run the coolant through the engine and test for leaks

Am I in over my head or does this sound simple enough? I've pulled bikes apart before but I'm an amateur by the best measure and am happy to pass on a job that is outside my limits.
  2. @veom@veom might be able to shed some light on this, he's a fellow KLR rider.
  3. Hard to see from that MP4 at work, but if it is a carbie heater then I would be by-passing it. Carbie heaters are for colder climates. You don't need one in Australia. I'm sure someone on a model specific forum has done it.
  4. That part has been replaced on my KLR by the previous owner. You should be able to purchase just that little bulb from a Kawasaki dealer, it's there so you can inspect the colour of the coolant. You will have to change the coolant, I can't say I've done it so I don't know if you have to remove the tank or not.

I'll check my manual tonight and see if I can get you a part number.
  5. Thanks for the replies.

On a side note, that website charges $14 for the part and $89.54 for shipping! They really should factor in parcel orders for individuals and not mechanics.