Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fully licensed rider looking for a LAMS bike (no joke!)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by JR Bronco, Feb 8, 2012.

  1. Hi there,

    I'm from France, I've been living Down Under for almost 1.5 year; currently established in Hornsby and studying part-time.

    I own a 2009 Kawasaki ER-6n that I have to sell very soon : the RTA won't let me convert my full French licence into a full NSW licence because I've had it for only 18 months, so I've only been able to get a P2!!!
    Bottom line is I won't be permitted to ride my ER6 after 24/02/2012 :censored:

    it's a long story that I'd be happy to explain further in an another thread!

    Anyway I have been looking for a LAMS bike on the web and ran into this forum; as soon as I get this thing past, I'll be looking forward to sharing experiences, technical knowledge and enjoying a few group rides in Sydney area whenever we have the chance!


  2. hi there,

    u wanna buy an Aprilia RS 125 ,2007, lorenzo replica..
    inbox me if u like.....

  3. I'm actually after a 500cc+ but thanks anyway
  4. JR - that sounds wrong about them not converting your full overseas license see below from RTA web site


    If you are an Australian permanent resident or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958 and you intend to stay in NSW, you are not considered to be a visitor. As such, you are allowed to ride in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia. If you wish to continue riding, you must obtain a NSW rider licence.

    If you are a licence holder from New Zealand (regardless if you are a permanent or temporary resident), you must obtain a NSW rider licence within three months of residing in NSW or you must stop riding.
    How do I convert my overseas rider licence to a NSW rider licence?

    To obtain a NSW rider licence you must be 17 years of age or older.

    If your overseas licence is written in English:

    Go to an Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) motor registry and present your overseas licence

    If your licence is not written in English, provide:

    Your overseas licence and an official translation from the NSW Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW.

    Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) also accepts translations obtained from the fee-free translation service provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). The DIAC fee-free translation service is only available for eligible people. Further information on fee-free translations for eligible persons is available on the DIAC website at www.immi.gov.au.

    For Korean driver licences, Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) accepts translations from the Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea as the Consulate verifies the licence details with the relevant Korean driver licence authority.

    Translations obtained through other means are not acceptable.

    If you cannot produce your overseas licence, provide:

    a letter from the overseas licence issuing authority confirming your licence details and status, or
    a letter from a relevant consulate or diplomatic office (based on information received from the overseas licence issuing authority) confirming your licence details and status.

    You must also:

    Prove your NSW address,
    Prove your identity,
    Pass an eyesight test,
    Pass a rider knowledge test, unless exempt,
    Pass a Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST), unless exempt,
    Pay the licensing fee, and
    Have your photo taken by Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) for your rider licence card.

    Exemptions from licence tests

    You may not be required to pass a rider knowledge test or MOST if:

    You have previously held an Australian rider licence that expired within the last five years and it can be verified by the issuing authority,
    You hold a current New Zealand rider licence (not a learner licence or paper licence), or
    You are applying for a NSW rider licence and you hold a current overseas rider licence (not a learner licence), or one that expired within the last five years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia. See Licences from recognised countries for more information.

    Note: If you do not hold a rider licence from a ‘recognised country’, you must pass a MOST.
    What happens next?

    If you hold a current motorcycle learner licence from another country and you fail the MOST (or rider DART if living outside of a declared area), all visiting rider privileges are withdrawn.

    You must then obtain a NSW learner rider licence in order to ride and before being eligible to attempt another riding test.

    To obtain a NSW learner rider licence you must complete a pre-learner rider-training course if you live in a declared area. See Getting a motorcycle rider licence for more information.

    If you hold a provisional or unrestricted licence from another country and fail the MOST (or rider DART if living outside of a declared area) you can apply for a NSW learner rider licence without having to attend the pre-learner rider-training course. If you live in a declared area, you will need to pass the pre-provisional course and MOST to obtain a NSW rider licence.

    From 18 April 2008, new licensing arrangements apply to visiting overseas riders who want to obtain a NSW licence for the first time. For more information see Temporary overseas visitors obtaining a NSW licence.


    Licences from recognised countries
    Home > Licensing > New residents of NSW > Licences from recognised countries

    The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002.

    When converting your overseas licence to a NSW licence, if you hold an acceptable driver or rider licence from one of the recognised countries below, you will be exempt from:

    The driver/rider knowledge test, and
    The practical driving/riding test.

    Note: The exemptions only apply to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.
    Recognised countries

    Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark,
    Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
    Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg,
    Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal,
    Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.
  5. JR Bronco welcome to NR, are you temp resident of perm? either way good luck and hope it all turns out for the better for you
  6. Thanks for all your answers!

    In fact, I'm fortunate enough to have a licence from a "recognised country" so I was exempted from sitting all the tests.

    The question was, do I get a NSW full riding licence if I have held my French unrestricted R licence for 18 months?

    September 2011 : YES (minimum period 1y)
    October 2011 : NO (minimum period 3y)

    I got the info from the latest PDF of the NSW road users handbook, I can send you the previous version for your own personal knowledge.

    In short, got "backdoored" by the RTA, a pity I scored my PR in November!
    Dumb luck, I guess...

  7. Hiya check out my XVS650 in the classified section for $5,300.....

    Your lucky to be living in Hornsby, some nice roads close by....
  8. Have you considered having a dealer change your ER-6n to a ER-6nL, therefore making it a LAMS bike?

    Conversion should be cheap considering as its only a jumper + bolt restrictor and a blue slip for re-compliance.
  9. +1.....would work out a lot cheaper too
  10. #10 jag131990, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Selling an 09 GS500F. Immaculate condition, 9500kms. $6000. Pm me or check the for sale thread
  11. Selling my Royal Enfield 500cc, $7500, check the sale section :)
  12. I thought that if your were (back) on your P-plates, you'd be supposed to ride a bike featured on the current LAMS list, I'll take it up to the RTA though, thanks for the heads-up!

  13. Are you sure about that? I thought that unless the bike was a a LAMSed model. ie ER_6NL on the compliance plate it couldn't be LAMS.
  14. I thought once a LAMS bike has been converted to a non LAMS it cant be reverted back........and your right im pretty sure that a non LAMS bike can never be converted to a LAMS bike........Its a pretty stupid rule TBH.
  15. This is correct, you can't change it back
  16. You can't do this, and can not be legally allowed to ride on the road unfortunately. In NSW at least, not sure about other states.
  17. http://www.doublerrmotorcycles.com.au/Specials.aspx

    The process of making blanket non lams bike lams in NSW has stopped and is currently under review.

    However, you may still get certain non lams bike made lams, via a case by case application via the Roads & Maritime Services.
  18. Stupid how that all works. I got my license in NSW when I was 17. P's was only 1 year (back then). So, when I was 18, I was on full license etc.... I moved to Vic (grew up in Vic, but lived in NSW for about 10 years) when I was 20 (almost 21). So, I'd had my license for 3.5 years, but they wanted me to go back on P's in Vic. They said that P's in Vic is 3 years, and they wouldn't count my first year of driving because I was under 18 (earliest you can get a Vic license). In the end, I just kept my NSW license until the time ran out, then changed it over.

    BTW, Welcome to NR :)
  19. Licensing aside you might be able to get an exemption to continue to ride your current bike. If you've been able to ride it now with your French license then you *should* still be able to.
    I've heard of an exepmtion where a bike appeared on the LAMS list and was later removed. An owner received a letter saying he was able to ride that bike but if sold the exemption would cease. Your case is similar in that you already owned the bike and are currently able to legally ride it. If you don't get a full license (you should) then try for an exemption.
  20. Well considering how that hoon with a bright orange BMW M3 driver who happens to play tennis is able to drive his high powered sportscar........................I would think that someone like you who for all intents and purposes is an experienced rider, should be given an exemption and ride a bike that your more than capable of handling on public roads.

    It wouldnt hurt to ask, beg and plead your case..............maybe to someone who is high enough to sign it off.