Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Full license but haven't ridden in 1 year

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jc212, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Hi guys just wanted your advice on some things but would like to give you a bit of background info:

Stopped riding about 1 year ago after I had an off with my virago250 (just the bike got hurt)

Well it has been sitting in my garage ever since but I didn't get rid of it even though I had some serious thoughts about riding again.

So, one long year later and i've caught the bug again, I'm going to get rid of the old girl and try for a street triple, mainly because it's so sexy and the many praises it has been bestowed.

Now here's my problem.. I am pretty nervous about getting on a bigger bike! Right now I'm scared of even taking one for a test ride. What should I do?

Should I buy the bike straight away and take my time with it or buy a smaller bike and get my confidence back up? I've heard good things about stay upright and other riding courses.. should I go for these?

Thanks for your patience!

2. My suggestion is to give the xv a go if it's still rideable. Personally, I'd hold off the purchase of something like that til I was 100% committed that getting back into it was something I wanted to do. Getting lessons would be a go way to go with this; get a bit of coaching, back on two wheels, get any issues ironed out early.

No doubt someone else would have a better suggestion. Let us know how it goes.[/b]

3. The virago is totally out of commission! It'll cost me 2k to fix it which is about how much I bought it for, i'd rather spend that money on a new(er) bike.

4. I haven't been able to make the step up to a bigger bike yet but i think it would be a waste of money to go buying another bike just to learn again. I don't think it's something you can forget and im sure it will come back pretty quick.

5. The street triple's power curve is very linear, so there are no real surprises, the further you twist the throttle, the faster you will accelerate. The brakes and suspension will far supersede almost (if not) all learner bikes, so you will actually probably feel pretty good on it, as long as you realise it will get up and boogie much much faster than the virago. But as I said, if you can control your wrist and take your time I don't see a problem with it.

6. The Street Triple is a fair choice for the move up, but given that you don't sound totally confident about it, I'd think about buying something a bit more sporty in the 250 range - like say a VTR250 - and spend some learning time with that. Buy second hand and you would get most of your money back in say a years time to put towards the next bike.
    Just my opinion.

7. Linear power output sounds great! I don't like surprises very much.. Being a triumph rider, do you find it easy/economical to find parts and service your bike?

8. I'd suggest buying a moderately priced LAMS bike and get your skills and confidence back to speed. You will resell it for close to what you paid if you still want to be on 2 wheels.
    As smooth and as good as the triples are they are not for the feint hearted or those lacking confidence IMHO

9. There is a pretty great dealer in Newcastle (Brisans), who I deal with for servicing, and as for parts there really isn't much that can't be found either through them or on the internet. I think that there might be a bit of a delay for obscure parts, but that would depend more on the dealer than anything else. You may want to check out the dealer in your area before committing to buy something that you may have to travel long distances just to maintain it. Cheers.

10. You might get over the street triples lack of power in a few months, i would just go one step up and get the speed triple :cool:
    Its all in the wrist buddy, if u have good control ul be fine :grin:

11. +1 to taking some lessons to get you back into it.

I would probably suggest hiring a bike and getting some private lessons though and can provide details of an instructor that could help if you like - cheaper than you may think at about $300 for four hours from memory (send me a pm if you want the details).

Then you could actually test ride a few bikes and be sure its for you before parting with your hard earned cash.

12. mate i was in the exact same boat, i wrote my zzr250 off a while back and hadnt ridden in about an year when i came of restrictions. I kept saving my cash so it was about an year and six months before i bought the gixxer. I was a bit rough to begin with but you get used to it.

Keep the revs low and its easy to handle. Plus the brakes are great so in many ways its easier to ride than a 250. Just dont let it hit the powerband, otherwise the world turns blurry.

13. When I started riding I thought I would be fine getting a bigger bike and leaving the whole learners bike thing out of it. Then I started riding. I'm so glad I did 18 months on my ZZR250 and recommend it to everyone else, IMHO.

However I can see it from your eyes, not wanting to waste money on a LAMS bike when all you want to do is upgrade.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you have an off? Only the bike got hurt and not you, yet you stopped riding for 12 months? Yet you want to jump straight onto a big bike?

Cracking open that throttle without much experience on a 675 (or any 'big' bike) will most likely f^&* you up. I'm still getting myself into hairy situations with the Daytona and I've had it for about 5 weeks now, however slowly learning and knowing when to crack it open. So unless your throttle control is 200% perfect and disciplined, I'd say get a LAMS bike.

I said get however. Have you tried asking around riding mates and seeing if you can borrow a mates or something?? That might be another avenue for you.

Good luck and welcome back to riding.

14. Leathers/insurance = problem solved! :LOL:

Probably not the safest option but if i was in your shoes i'd buy the big bike.

It's true you can get into a world of bollocks but with sensibility you can avoid this.

To get your skillset up to speed do the intermediate course then jump into some advanced courses. It'll turn you into a VERY confident rider.

15. I did a solid 18 months on the virago and at that time I felt confident enough to upgrade only I didn't have a means to. It's not like I was totally new to riding or anything.

I actually had the off about 5 minutes away from home where I rear ended someone who cut into my lane with no indication. The guy ran for it! By the time I got up he was gone and the police said nothing could be done without witnesses.

The past year i've been working and using the train/car to commute. I guess the reason why I didn't want to get back on was because I was reluctant to. I think I was thinking too much and work just distracted me from riding. Now that i've got a new job and some spare time.. i want to ride again!

I've got a mate coming over with his cbr250 so i'm going to ride that around and do some carpark sessions to get the rust off my shoulder.

The throttle on the virago was extremely tame but I do have a healthy respect for nastier ones because I've ridden some of my mates 600s.

16. +1 with Sleddog (lessons/training first) and MitchRohr with getting it and taking it easy.

17. Alas, your not a brand new noob.

Practice on your mates for a week or two.
    Get the Street Triple R, orange.
    Do a course or two.
    You be sweet.
    :grin:

triumph-street-tripl-22_460x0w.

Edit: Do the courses on your new bike, learn how to handle it as you'll be riding it from then on in.

18. :roll:

19. +1.

Ridden one superman?