Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Full leathers and helmet would be fire resistant?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by TAX123, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Just wanted to know if anyone on netrider lives in a bushfire area, out ran a fire on their bike, rode in the smoke etc full leathers and helmet would be fire resistant?

2. thread has changed so I've removed the piccy
  3. Re: Any Bushfire Stories?

And what about your eyes, lungs and throat? Fire resistant?

Don't know if it's just me but I find your post a little bit too morbid.
  4. edit: bugger this thread.
  5. You have to breath, you have to stay cool, your bike is no different, nor is a car. In all honesty I would believe a bike would fail before a car, yet I do not want to find out. Would you like to try it out, and let us know how you go?
  6. leathers are NOT fire resistant clothing. FFS they are bad enough in the sunlight, i dont think most people have a clue of the intense radiation from a fire.

dont be tempted by darwin awards, creatures know to run from fire
  7. When the faeces hit the fan, my general approach is to go around or get out of the firing range and avoid becoming a casualty.

On the weekend, I was making a return journey from Cronulla NSW to Melbourne, VIC. The strategy was to take a route that would avoid fires. The options were greatly reduced and the Hume Hwy was closed near Wandong and Kilmore at that stage on Saturday night.
    A decision point arise at Yass/Canberra. We chose to head towards Albury and chance it that the Hume would be re-opened.
    The road temperature was 42 degrees for most of the route in NSW. A dense smoke appeared on the horizon. The realiity was that we were soon riding through it (until we got to within 70 km of Melbourne). Much like riding through a fog; visibilty was reduced to about 150 metres. Breathing was more difficult than usual. Eyes were stinging.
    We made it through to Wangarratta and bumped into a police officer at the Servo. She advised that the Hume had been open, but if closed again to head out West. It was evident that all the routes that we could normally have taken were subject or about to be threatened by fire and therefore road closure. ( e.g Beechworth, Marysville, Narbethong, etc.) She also mentioned that we should be extra vigilant because wild life may be frightened and come onto the road in the current circumstances. Not a good scenario for motorcyclists.
    In the end we made it through to Melbourne, having had to pay extra attention through the firezones because of people rubbernecking and driving erratically.
  8. Outrun a fire?

An internal combustion engine requires air for it to work.
    Introduce a shit load of smoke particles and all of a sudden the only running you'll be doing is by using your feet.
  9. And only for a few metres before you suffocate from lack of oxygen.
  10. I dont plan on being anywhere close enough a fire to find out.

Super heated air from being close to a fire can actually burn the little hairs and airsacs in your lungs so that they dont work anymore, meaning you stop breathing and start suffocating. One breath is all it takes if the air is hot enough

this is in addition to the risk of smoke inhalation.

Human beings are fragile creatures.

11. as Nibs said... we were out just in the general area, not to far from them, but far enough. with the amount of crap on the roads, the dust, and the sheer amount of smoke around... tough. and much reduced light/visibility.
  12. in short, you'd be a human haggis.
  13. Hi I live in Gippsland. And was affected by the fires. Only a fool would try to think that leathers and helmet are fire resistant. You are n 2 wheels debris everywhere. Tree limbs falling down. The worse thing than a car is your bike with temp well over 45degrees. Maybe in a movie but not in real life
  14. Taz13,

Maybe you should go to kinglake or similar and see how many cows survived the fires.

Theres your answer.
  15. There's a famous story in oil circles of Red Adaire the famous oil fire fighter borrowing a set of leathers to check their fire resistance. He was at an oil well head fire, so off he goes towards it with the leathers... but then he starts finding it difficult to walk and difficult to breathe and the leathers become hot. They were shrinking and transferring heat. He manages to make it back to the crew screaming to get the leathers cut off.

No, they are not fire resistant.
  16. So true and funny but not funny, but still funny in a very respectful way!
  17. The fire itself is nothing, the radiant heat in front of the fire, if it hits you, you will be dead before you fall off your bike,
    It sucks all the oxygen out of the air, and when you breathe, you suck pure flame into your lungs. no matter what protective gear you are wearing,
    If you think you can live in that environment, Dont even think about it.

A eucyluptus fire ball, will fry you on the spot, If it hits a house, it will explode the house into nothing in seconds, and you think you will survive,
    I think not.
  18. For all that missed it..

Fire uses up all the oxygen, you and your bike need this to work.

No oxygen means you die.

The heat is so intense the air is super heated, you breathe this is and suffocate very quickly afterwards.

Fire fronts can be K's and K's long if they are coming at you from the side your not running from it at all no matter how fast your moving.

Don't go near fire, don't take up the time and resources of the people fighting the fires and if you see someone drop a ciggie on the ground kick their f*cking head in..
  19. * Intense radient heat
    * Roads filled/clogged with people fleeing in a paniced rush of madness
    * Paniced drivers driving in an unpredicable manner
    * Visibility down to fcuk all
    * Paniced Kangaroos, Wombats, Koalas, Horses, Cattle and Sheep to dodge
    * Burning trees falling onto the road
    * Your own distress/concern/worry affecting your desision making
    * Difficulty breathing and sore eyes

Add to this that because of the above points, the chances of a crash are likely rather than just a possibility. If you get stuck while evacuating the last thing you want is to be exposed. You have a far greater chance of survival in a car, laying on the floor under a blanket than you do standing next to a bike.

Surely this is enough to suggest it's no place for a motorcycle??? :shock: A few years ago I was unlucky enough to get caught in a fire much smaller than the fires we have seen this week. It was small enough that the firey's had it very much under control and the front was small enough that they felt confident to shepard me (and a few other drivers) through. Driving though a relatively very small fire while sheltered by a fire engine, was even then a nerve racking experience that I'd rather not do again. The heat was unbelievable (42+ degree air felt cool and refeshing on the other side!). It made a bit of a mess of my paintwork too. There's no way in hell I'd try to evacuate on a bike.

Bushfire = Stay the fcuk away
    Evacuating bushfire = Take the car + blankets while wearing appropriate clothing (ie not bloody leathers).
  20. fire

It is not flammability that is the issue. It is the radiant heat that cooks your brain and the asphyxiation the fries your lungs.

Poly carbonate helmet would end up like a 1970s pop art sculpture in that heat, around your neck. :(