Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Full HD 50Hz 46 inch?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by proxemic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Hi

Dunno if anyone can answer me question but cool if you can...

I'm thinking about getting a Samsung 46 inch full HD series 5 LCD. It's only 50Hz though but nice n cheap. If i'm only going to be watching HD DVD's and normal free to air TV will this matter so much?

Thx.

2. I have a 60" 1080 Plasma and it's only 50HZ, the PS3 looks magnificent on it :D
    The wife has her own 32" Samsung 1080 LCD in her bedroom. It too is 50HZ and its stunning.

3. Don't get a 50hz make sure its 100hz youl thank yourself in private later on :D:smileysex:

4. Apparently television here is transmitted at 60 hz so you are supposed to get a slightly disjointed image at 50 hz if watching sports and other fast moving images ( So said the salesman at DS) . However having said that like Vic, our lcd tv's are 50hz and we have no image issues that concern us. So if the price is right.

5. can i ask if you watch a blu ray in 23.997fps 24hz why you would need a 100+ hz tv, i have 3 hdtv's 50,55 and 60'' and i fail to see the difference all the 10hz function does is add frames, i prefer a more natural viewing experience

6. The refresh rate is how quickly it can draw those frames - if there is a lot of difference from one frame to another (sport action etc) the image will appear smoother with a higher refresh rate as the change from one frame to another will be blended across more scans of the screen. Also if you want to enjoy the wonders of HTPC's your going to want something better than 50 frames a second limit

7. The first time I watched a movie (minority report) on a mates B&O 100hz big screen I was blown away at the difference from 'standard' 60hz in terms of smoothness. It does seem slightly unnatural (from what we're used to) but damn it looks good.

Also I find the higher refresh rate is less tiring on the eyes for some reason (set your monitor down to 50 for a while, then up to 70+ and you'll see what I mean).

Nothing 'wrong' with 50hz though.

8. #8 vic, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Hmmm the wife just told me that both sets are 100HZ. Disregard my last post

9. TVs that are 50hz are also 60hz. Likewise, TVs that are 100hz are also 120hz.

The reason a faster hz rating is desirable is because 100/120 and 120/240 are the only refresh rates that are divisible by 24 (film), 25 (PAL TV), 30 (NTSC and most HDTV), and 60 (interlaced HD).

Now, if you never watch film (YOU FREAK), it isn't going to matter much, but one of the things we have to do in the film industry is what's called a 2:2 pulldown or 3:2 pulldown, depending where we're outputting content for. It's the work of the devil and don't ever let someone tell you otherwise. What it boils down to is that we have to make a 24fps film work with different framerates, which is most commonly done like this:

For PAL/25/50hz playback, we insert a pulldown (which is a forced-interlaced frame where alternating lines in a frame are shown, then the next "frame" is composed of the skipped lines) every dozen frames. For NTSC/30/60hz playback, we have to add alternating pulldowns, stretching one frame into two, and the next into three, the next into two, etc. What this means to YOU, dear viewer, is that when our fearless director asks for a slow panning shot, it chops and doesn't appear smooth… except on 100/120/200/240hz TVs! This is called "telecine judder". the name of which is a holdover from when

Now granted, all this bullshit is automated in our software these days, but it's still annoying and makes me want to punch people.

xoxo,
    Your friendly neighbourhood film editor and postproduction engineer.

PS: Don't get me started on the people who film with their new 1080p digital video cameras at 30 or 60fps and say "Hey, can't we get a better 'film look' by making it 24fps?" :furious:

10. That's usually due to image postprocessing, which can be turned off on most displays. It's called MotionFlow or something on Samsungs, dunno about other brands.

11. ^^^^^This is a nice explanation.

Proxemic, for fast moving stuff on a big screen, you'll notice a massive difference in picture quality between 50 Hz and 100 Hz. Even though Samsung make good screens/tvs, there's a good chance it'll be blurry on a 50 Hz screen. Test it out if you can. Maybe someone here or a friend of yours can suggest a good dvd to use for comparison testing so you can see it for yourself. One good thing is scrolling text along the bottom of the screen. It comes out pixellated and difficult to read on some tvs. They're the ones to avoid buying IMO irrespective of their price.

12. get a led lcd mate, u will be blown away, rob the bank if u have to

13. yeah - my folks just got one and the picture is fantastic - also less problems with dead pixels. Thats another thing - is always buy the longest warranty... often even fixing minor problems can cost 50% of the original price - you want a good warranty

14. Also keep in mind that the so-called "LED TVs" are standard LCDs with LEDs as the backlight, instead of a CCFL. True OLED TVs are going to be a bit more time before they're affordable or in a size worth having.

15. I run my blurays on my pc (on a plasma) They are recorded at 24fps progressive (as are all films, tv is not 30fps as stated earlier, thats NTSC not PAL which we use in australia)

I run my plasma at either 24 or 48Hz refresh rate when watching bluray, which is evenly divisable by the ORGINAL FPS of the film.

This means the film is viewed as the director intended (using their equipment worth prolly hundreds of thousands of dollars) without my tv (worth less than a grand) stuffing the picture due to it applying its own "higgery jiggery" to the picture to make a 24frame a second film display nicely on a screen displaying 60frames a second (or 100 or whatever)

If all you watch is free to air tv however (eg PAL in australia) 100 Hz divides nicely so should be fine. Just dont expect DVD movies etc to pan nicely as stated by grue (who seems to know his stuff)

Edit: Of course you could just make sure you could turn the higgery jiggery stuff off before purchasing (motionflow etc as mentioned to take the original much lower fps to 100)

16. Hmmm much to consider, thanks everyone for your replies ;D

17. To be honest mate, there is some good advice here and some really bad advice.

Ive been in the audio/visual industry for 10+ years. Firstly, Someone mentioned that the bloke from DS said Australian TV was filmed in 60hz. Garbage. 50hz is the standard for digital TV here. Our tellies are 50hz for a reason.

I can guarantee you that for watching FTA TV here in australia, 50hz will always give you a better picture. On a plasma/lcd TV anyway. 100hz CAN make the image appear smoother in motion which some would say is better for sports and fast moving images. But there is a big draw back to this. Blurring. This blurring is associatied with the conversion process from 50 to 100hz. To me, 100hz, 200hz looks horrible for watching TV. I always turn the 100hz processing off whenever i install a tv. 100hz used to make a good difference when watching TV on an older CRT television. But, CRTs, display an image VERY differently to the way a plasma or LCD does. A 50hz refresh rate on a CRT does result in some jagged edges on some material. 100hz did fix this. IMHO, having 100hz feature on an LCD/Plasma TV is simply another way for manufacturers to sell their products. Afterall, 100hz was all the rage with CRTs, why not milk the cow a litte more? lol

That being said, people who say 24 frames is the best way to display their movies I would have to strongly disagree with too. Yes it is the way most modern movies are filmed but it doesnt mean its the best way either. If you actually watch a blu-ray movie at 24 frames, it is actually quite jittery. 24 frames is quite low and our eyes pick up on that. I always set my blu-ray players for a 50/60hz refresh rate as I honestly think it presents a smoother image.

That brings me to another point, the customers who HAVE to have a 100hz or 200hz TV, but then insist on a blu-ray player that will output 24 frames. Why bother when your TV processing is going to completey **** the image by processing to 100/200hz anyways??

Bottom line, if your TV is 50hz only, then so be it. 100hz is wank factor. Dont get sucked in.

18. Thanks for setting me straight. I thought it was strange that there would be such an anomaly. I'm glad I didn't listen to him and bought the 50 hz models. :D

Thanks again and cheers.