Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel Tap

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tiga, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I had a mechanic once tell me to always turn my fuel tap off. At the time my bike was leaking fuel.

If your bike's not pouring fuel everywhere does it matter if you don't turn the tap off at night? Does the answer to this question vary depending on what you ride?
  2. yes it does depend on the bike ... and being a 2 stroke the last thing you want is a crank case full of fuel ..... that will really screw your day
  3. i always leave the fuel tap on but thats becasuse i know my bike has a vacuum fed type fuel tap.

i think with 2 strokes though you always put it on off as they flood easily and then you've got ur work cut out to get it started especially if its a kick start
  4. Thanks, so does that mean you should turn your fuel tap off even if you're just getting off your bike for 5 minutes? How quickly can you flood an engine?
  5. I always turn the tap off on my old bike. It wasn't mechanically perfect so i thought it a good idea. Just for a short while on my new one i probably wouldnt but overnight+ i would.
  6. I dont think it matters for most 4 strokes but on your Aprillia it might. kde your ZZR should not need the tap turned off.