Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tap on a Honda Spada

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lloyd, Mar 3, 2005.

1. This sounds really retarded, but anyway.
    Basically, the fuel tap doesn't turn. I don't want to force it in case I bust it.
    Are they normally a huge biatch or is it just my bike?

2. Has a similar problem with mine. Gave a loud "click" when turning.

Got my mechanic to lube/oil the switch and all is fine now.
  3. RP7 is your friend... quic spray, leave for at least thirty minutes... twist twist... Voila!

Then give squirt of normal oil

4. Bastard bloody thing wont turn.
    Weekend job now I imagine, it's going to rain anyway.
  5. This is one problem where I'd recommend against using the oxy torch :)

Iffracem is on the right track - start with a spray lubricant. If this doesn't help, take the tank off and lie it on its side with the tap uppermost. Drip some penetrating oil (Penetrene, Penetrol) into the circular groove in the tap. Leave it overnight. Follow with regular oil once it is moving freely.

Still no good? Maybe your tap is like mine - lubricant doesn't work because there's an o-ring in the tap that stops the lubricant getting to the seized surfaces (also stops the petrol getting out). If so, you might need to dismantle the tap. Mine has screws either side - the at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Drain the tank, dismantle the tap and give it a good clean - maybe a light scrub with steel wool. Not much point in greasing it, as the fuel will dissolve the grease pretty quickly.
  6. if the ideas above wont work, just take the tap out and soak it ni somethin (fuel of somethin, i dunno) and then it should be all good
    crc works well, use it heaps at work when big hammers dont work.
    could give you a hand with it if you like. surely it couldnt be that hard to get the tap out.
  7. I'll be stuffing with it Saturday.
    It'd be nice to know how far I can get outta a tank before a need to refuel it too. Better stick some in it tomorrow morning.