Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tap leaking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by VBman, Oct 31, 2008.

1. 1990 Kawasaki ZXR250a Ninja

I went out this morning and the ground under my bike was drenched with fuel. And fuel was leaking out from the bottom of the chassis somewhere.

After closer inspection i found the fuel was not leaking from the tank+lines, it was actually leaking out of the engine somewhere, or perhaps the bottom of the air filter box.

And it wouldnt crank over, like it had hydraulic lock. Basically the whole crankcase was full of fuel.

I dropped the sump plug and found the oil was very thin and stinking of fuel. Heaps came out, about triple the amount that is normally oil.
    I removed the cap that covers the crank bolt and wound it over by hand, it was tight at first but after a while i squeezed all the fuel out and now it winds over fine.

I removed the fuel tank and found that even in the "on" or "res" positions, the fuel was still dribbling out from the line.
    So i dismantled the fuel tap and stretched the spring that makes it close when the vacuum stops. So now there is a lot more pressure on the seat inside and it is sealing fine now. I did the tongue tests on both sides and it seems to be sealing and working ok. So now i have put it all back together and left the sump plug out, and tomorrow i will get some Castrol Active 4T and fill it back up.

I have tried to start it with no oil (just to see if it starts), but it doesnt seem to want to fire. So i'll get some oil tomorrow and try properly.

I know i should probably get a new tap, but how much are they? and how hard will it be to get one for this bike? Is it a generic kind of thing that you can fit just about any tap as long as it seals?

Any thoughts/suggestions on what i should have done or what i should do now?

Thanks.