Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel Tap? 96 ZX6R

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by droy333, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hey,

Just bought a 1996 ZX6R. Very nice bike and very clean. The only problem I came across was the fuel Tap. The bike quickly runs out of fuel on the "On" position. On reserve the bike is fine runs with no problems.

I'd be happy with this but I have no idea how many K's the bike does before I should get more fuel.

BTW, yes the fuel tank is full and its full of Fuel. (I've read a few good ones in the short time I've been here).

Just wanted to make sure that the fuel tap is the problem? I remember on my little GPX I had to get a new diapgragm and spring. Also any idea where I can snag one (online or local to the gold coast).

Thanks everyone for all the help in the past.

Cheers,
    Troy.

2. I cant help you fix your problem,

but I can tell you that my 96 ZX6R needed to be switched to reserve after about 240 to 250km.

Keep your distance travelled between refills to below 250km and you shouldn't run out of fuel,

hopefully someone else can give you the technical advice you need

3. thanks man thats exactly what i needed. I'll stick to 220 k's its what im use to with the bandit anyway.

4. Funny thing is that most diaphragm taps work the rerserve as well!

I think you might have a partial blockage in the main feed. Pull the tap and check first. Remember you can easily (albeit somewhat dangerously) check the diaphragm - remove the vacuum line from the manifold and suck on it, then apply the end of the vacuum line to your tongue.

It should hold and maintain the vacuum against your tongue well-nigh indefinitely - if the vacuum drops away within a second or so you have a microscopic pinhole, at the very least.

Check that no fuel is dribbling out the vacuum line before you put it anywhere near your mouth...

All the best

Trevor G

5. Ok so that brings up another question. Are there 2 fuel lines? I know there are 2 staws in the tank.