Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by ilovemynsr150sp, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Hey fellas :) I just bought a second hand tank for my nsr. Because the tank has been sitting around with the lid open it has small amounts of rust in it, now my question is: how do i get rid of it or is the rust even harmful if it does get into the engine itself? Thanks, Stef

2. i would wash it out with a bit of petrol and just make sure i have a filter somowhere down the fuel line.

Paper filter from super cheap is 10$

theres other things u could do but somone else would know more.

3. Hey thanks for the reply :) Washed it out with petrol, got rid of some rust which makes me believe that its a very thin layer, will get myself a filter tomorow. I have heard about people putting sand or stones in the tank to get rid of the rust or buy a Kreem set. Which one makes more sense to do? Thanks :)

4. thats true but some tank (probaly not the NSR150 ) have a protective layer from the factory.
    If u use something abrasive without replacing this layer it could be more harmfull.