Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tank rust, complicated..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by BabyBlade, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Hey guys im sure theres heaps of old threads on this already,
    But this is a bit complicated,
    I can see some rust forming in the fual tank of my cbr250rr. Its around the rim of just under where the filler cap seals. If that makes sense? And i dont think i can do one of those clean and coat kits because it looks like its already had one done, the coating looks like its just started to come of on contanct with a fuel nozile at the petrol station wich has made it start to peel off and rust to form.
    Not happy as i just got this bike. Since i can reach the rust, can i just sand it back or clean it with steel wool then coat with something?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mitch

2. If the lining is coming off thats a big problem.You might use rust converter but I have no idea how fuel might react.
    I know its nuts but I once got a large section of the tank bottom cut out and media blasted it. Take extreme care with any cutting or welding, explosions will result if not done right. You have 3 choices,Extreme measures,will need painting, bodgy measures that maybe will work or you will end up with ongoing blockages to the taps, or get a better tank.

3. Ga tad hard to be sure we have it right from your description. How about a pic?

4. You'll have to take the tank off the bike, empty it and clean it no mater what chemical or method you use. Nothing can be added to the fuel to magically make it go away without completely destroying your fuel system.

All chemical treatments I've used are 3 parts to clean, prep and seal and require you to strip all the components off the tank.
    You might be able to get away with just lightly sanding the rust and existing treatment back and applying the prep/sealant on with some wool or cotton buds.

Now would be a good time to add a fuel filter if you don't have one already, saves cleaning the carbs when the rust works its way into them.

5. Yeah was planing on pulling the tank off to treat it. I can do the prep and seal thing just not sure cause it looks like its already been done with tank kreme or something.. Cant figure out how to attach a pic without having to put it on the net first

6. Upload a file, just next to the post reply button.

7. Noobs on the forum musnt be allowed. I csnt send pms either