Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tank leaking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by the mole, Aug 8, 2008.

1. My brother's Yam XJ900 has the usual leak in the bottom of the fuel tank. :( Any helpful suggestions?

2. Are we talking rust hole? If so, buy a new tank is the best solution.

For a temporary fix use quiksteel - which is a putty that sets "like steel" *cough* and is used on tanks and can be found at lots of places like Supercheap auto, BigW etc etc.

For rust in a tank there's lots of products around to remove the rust and put a coating inside the tank, but once you get a hole you really should replace it.
  3. that quicksteel stuff sometimes comes off.
    Tank resealer/restore is about 80$ a set and works ok.
  4. I've never had that problem, but maybe I've been lucky. I've seen it come off a few times, but always because people didn't read and follow the instructions on the pack.
    Like I said, I may just have been lucky.
  5. The tank on mine has Quiksteel (Tank repair) on it, no problems for 2 yrs now.

Follow the instructions, sand to bare metal, clean with a spirit to remove grease, petrol etc.

I let it cure for a couple of hours and then a couple of thick coats of paint.

Works for me, also have a repair on the radiator which has been there for
    about 4 years now.
  6. So what's an unusual leak and if it's usual when can I expect my tank to start leaking? :-k
  7. Old bikes are generally prone to leaks from the tank rusting on the inside. This usually happens near the bottom as water is heavier than fuel. The XJ900 has a reputation for this as the tank is badly designed with a low point on either side, below the fuel outlet, where water collects.

Thanks to everyone for their input.