Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tank capacity?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Subby, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Noob question!
    OK, so the user manual on my newish MT-07 says that overfilling the tank is a no no as is the case with most motorcycles. Petrol expands and can push it's way out of the tank when the bike heats up etc. Keen to know what some of your thoughts are on filling? My user manual states that the nozzle of the pump should be pushed down to the stopper or whatever you want to call it and filled to there. If that's the case I can only get about 7-8 litres ($9.00) of 98 octane at best when sitting on a practically empty tank, yet this tank's supposed to hold around 14 litres? I've been going higher and wacking in about 9 litres, still seems shitty to me as I doubt that there's 5 litres in the tank when my fuel gauge is reading near empty. I assume the 14 litre capacity is literal, meaning that if the tank was completely full it would be 14 litres, but does this mean that we can only actually safely get about 11 litres in there?

2. Fill it all the way up, just don't go crazy trying to get every last drop in. Worst case scenario is that it comes out the overflow hose and onto the ground.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Hillsy, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    I've got an MT 07 and fill it all the way to the top, the level settles and I top it again. Never had a problem or pushed anything out the overflow that I've noticed.

Getting 4.1L/100 on avg which has me filling up at around the 260km mark when the F trip starts flashing on reserve and then only get 11~L in it, have never run it dry but have done 25km after the gauge started flashing.

Edit: By top I mean petrol is just above the internal metal nozzle fitting, so you'll have to hold the spout above that to do it. I've seen other MT riders do the same.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. #4 Subby, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback BJ and Hillsy. Good to hear from another MT07 rider. 25km after flashing.... wow!. I always shit myself if it starts flashing and try to fill up within 4km. Seems that it holds a lot more than I expected when signalling empty
  5. I fill my bike up to the top tank body, so i have a little gap between then guts of the tank and the tank cap.

I ride a CB400 and to give you an example the tank holds 17 litres and the low fuel warning comes on when i have 4 litres left in the tank. This equates to approx 50kms of riding left when i get my warning.

The litres of your tank SHOULD be what you can put in it at the servo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. So long as you don't take it home and park it straight away. Particulalry if the day is going to warm up. Of a night time when things are cooling down it may be ok, depending on the bike.

Bowzer nozzles are designed for cars. With bikes you fill them more like you are filling your mower can.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Make sure you ease off the fuel trigger before positioning the end of the nozzle at the very top of your tank - if you keep it pumping and pull it up too far or slightly off centre you get petrol spraying everywhere.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cheers guys.
    I've been filling it up similarly to JayTee. Pretty much filling the tank and leaving the gap between the top of the tank and the bottom of the filler cap. Wasn't sure whether I was overdoing it.
  9. Have also got an MT 07 and fill it all the way to the top. like others have stated before.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. +1 to this, I pointed the nozzle straight into the tank early on in my riding adventures and got back spray all over me and in my eyes. Petrol on your face stings a tad , but some cold water fixes it after a few mins.
  11. Yea it's better to ingest it down the throat with some cola rather than through the eyeballs.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I always struggle on the VStrom with filling it up. It seems to get to the point where you just can't feed the petrol in before it froths up to excess. I pretty much just now fill it until first click, dribble fill for a bit then call it a day. Get plenty of k's out of the tank either way so I'm happy with that.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yea as long as you're getting plenty of k's eh. I'm used to getting 400ks to a tank from a 150cc. This new MT07 gets just over half that. Well worth the guzzle though. Loving this bike
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. You should put more trust in your Odometer. Reset when you fill, take notice of how much you put in and simply ignore the gauge after a while. Lot's of motorbike gauges are really quite hopeless. The best that can be said of them is that they won't have you actually running out of fuel. Most are not that accurate, and lie conservatively.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Cheers Jstava. Yea getting an idea now of how much she needs
  16. Just looking at the figures above. 14L tank. When filled on reserve11L. Still 3l in the tank. To me this would mean around 75-80km after the your warning light comes on. Probably more if you slowed down :)
  17. I'd play it safe and expect a little less. The fuel line is probably not right at the bottom of the tank to avoid it sucking up any sediment. This means there's some amount of unusable fuel in the 14l capacity tank.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I've also heard that running low on fuel can lead to fuel pumps failing. The theory is the fuel in the tank keeps it cool, running low causes a hot fuel pump. Hot fuel pump dowsed in cold petrol when refueling then kills it. Sounds plausible, but I don't know if it's actually true. It can't be a high risk, or many more fuel pumps would have failed around the world.
  19. All good advice above. I would only add that the nozzle of the pump is earthed for safety reasons and is designed to drain any static charge away from the vehicle to ground before refuelling starts. So for best safety you should:
    1. Place the nozzle in to the tank so it touches the metal filler ring.
    2. While the nozzle is connected touch your bare hand to the tank.
    3. The above two steps dissipates any static the bike has or that you have built up on your body.
    4. Then start your fill and leave the nozzle touching the metal of the filler spout.
    5. As the tank fills pull the nozzle back.
    It is the vapours that will ignite in the worst case so reducing the possibility of spark by earthing out any static and as the tank fills there is less possibility of a flash fire because the air fuel mixture in the tank becomes less as the volume is filled. For ignition to occur a specific ratio of fuel vapour to air has to occur.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Great info there cjvfr. Will use that hand!