Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel tank busted GPX250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Viator, Feb 17, 2009.

1. So yesterday I was doing some things on my bike cleaning the chain and putting a new airfilter in. After finishing up I decided I'd get on the bike and go for a short ride so I went to put the front fairing back on but the bloody thing was out of alignment by 5mm or so. I started screwing in the bolt that attaches the fairing to the fuel tank but it must have not been going in straight because just as I got it tight i realised that there was fuel leaking out of the tank. ARGH!

I unscrewed the bolt that I'd just put in and as I did so, more and more fuel came out until the bolt was out and fuel was gushing out of the hole the bolt is supposed to go in.

gx14HVEr.

The wall of the threaded hole in the tank must have broken... I guess I'm up for a new fuel tank eh?

Anyone know where I can find one? So far ebay and google haven't been very helpful.

Click on the photo then click the bottom right of the photo to make it bigger. It'll give you a laugh, you can see how fast all the fuel was coming out. Under the bottom fairing you can see a waterfall of fuel.

2. Thanks mate, I got on find a part straight away and have two guys given me quotes for second hand red fuel tanks.... Um, the first guy wants $650 and the other bloke wants $400.

I only paid $1800 for the bike.... and now I'm up for $400 bucks because I screwed a bolt in the wrong way?

I'm not sure if I should be laughing or crying. Can someone reccommend which I should do?

Is $400 reasonable because it seems like a bit overpriced to me.

3. so thats how you did it.. hmmm.. make sure your fairing has all bolts in light before final tighten... if you dont care how it looks you could get it welded. those prices are massive. would never have thought.

4. Second hand bike fuel tanks tend to attract high prices because they are easily dented and also rust can develop along seams causing leaks. This means the second hand market feels they can charge what they like.

Your current tank may be able to be repaired by a Mig/Tig welder, worth investigating before you shell out for a replacement.

5. Just took some pics of the problem but they are worthless. I've taken the tank off and emptied it and I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong.

The bolt is supposed to be screwed into the hole in the tank, and at a certain point it should stop because it will hit the metal at the end of the hole. I think what I did was screw it in until it was all the way in, and then screwed it some more so that it pushed against the metal at the end and eventually pushed through into the inside of the tank.
    It's now just a threaded hole that goes straight through to the inside of the tank. The thread on the hole looks slightly bent as does the thread on the bolt but the bolt seems to screw in fine up to where it should.

So here's my new question, can I somehow seal up the end of the hole? If it's possible I don't assume it'll be easy because it's on the inside of the tank however, if I could seal it up I think it'd fix my problem.

Sigh. Why me god?

6. Might want to get some advice on what to seal it with. Fuel tends to dissolve all sorts.

7. A mixture of soap and sand works well.
    Otherwise try epoxy resin, it certainly won't react with fuel - the tricky part is getting it to bond securely to the metal.

8. I guess the alternative is to epoxy the bolt in place (ie, on the threads then screw in. fast) and find a different way to secure the fairing. I'm thinking something as simple as double sided velcro at a point where it sits flush against something else.

9. Or replace the bolt with threaded rod of the same diameter/pitch then use a nut and washer to secure the fairing.

10.  Top
  11. If you can get to the inside of the tank where the hole is, try screwing the bolt in to its normal position and then putting some sort of sealing putty on the inside of the tank, covering the back end of the hole. A quick google found this stuff:

http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-KneadIt-Steel/default.aspx

I'm sure auto parts places would sell other similar products too.

Even if you can smear it on using a long stick through the fuel filler it might work - you've got nothing to lose really!

12. I'm a little reluctant to bog it up myself because the last thing I want is for it to come back to bite me in the bum a few months later. The hard part is that I have to patch the end of a threaded hole without putting anything in the thread. I really like the idea of finding a bolt without the head and using a nut to fix it, but if I can make the bike look less like a bitsa then I will because I'll be selling it next year.

I took the fuel tank to MAW in Castle Hill today, and they had a bit of a laugh at me and doubted they could fix it. They're holding onto the tank for the moment though incase they can figure something out. Here's hoping.

Otherwise my cheapest option is an old dented black fuel tank for 250. It wont match the red bike, but it will match the black front fairing which doesn't match the red bike :)

13. I think jd/liquidity's idea is a good one, and could look neat enough with a snazzy nut. Neater than an old dinted black tank anyway.

I'd double check with the manufacturer that the adhesive you choose is fuel proof (websites will have data sheets that might tell you, or ring the inquiry number).

Also check that the fairing will still slide on with the threaded rod sticking out the side.

14. +1 Exactly what I was thinking.

Screw in the rod far enough that the nut will sit flush when the fairing is on, to ensure it looks neat rather than having bits sticking out. Then when you're sure it's in the right spot, seal it with "Quicksteel". 41KJS1C6BFL._SL500_AA280_.

The Quicksteel is piss easy to use and will create a seal that outlives the tank.

FWIW, a new tank would probably cost around $1200 so $400 for a 2nd hand job is not too bad. Still, I'd fix the one you have before forking out for a replacement. While you're working on it, check the tank carefully for signs of rust and fatigue along the seams and fix any problem spots while the tank is already off the bike. :) [/i]

15. I'm still waiting to hear back from the bike shop to see if they can fix it or not...

I did a little research and apparently kawasaki made a recall on gpx 250s in i think 2007. Apparently sum numb nuts in the factory put 20mm bolts in some gpx's when they should have had 18mm ones. Thank you kawasaki. Not.

Anyway, part of me wants the bike to look nice and original (for when i sell it) and part of me couldn't be bothered fixing the bike myself. So even though the threaded rod is a great idea, I'm going to wait to hear back from the bike shop and if they can't fix it, I'm going to get a 2007 red tank for $350. Not cheap but nothing is I guess.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's very much appreciated.

16.  Top
  17. +1.

from the look of that picture, unless u have taken them off, there is supposed to be another bit that goes in the hole in the fairing that would stop the bolt going in another 5ish mm at a guess.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...l/Ninja_250R/GroupID/98478/Group/Cowling(1/2)

EDIT: i have nfi why the link code didnt work... :? mod fix please? either that or just copy and paste the url, that is good

Its shown as part number 92143 on there, called a "collar". Is that possibly the reason that it screwed too far in? i know how easy it is to miss that bit when putting the fairings back on the GPX, luckily, coz ive waxed it enough times, there are dried white crusty bits of old wax on the hole so i notice that and remember to put the collar back in.

Just a thought

Lobby

18. A good boilermaker with a TIG welder would be able to fix that for you. For about the cost of a bottle or 2 of fine Scotch. Or Bourbon

19. Nah lobsta, like I said some of those bikes were made with bolts in those spots that were too long and that's why it punched through. I had the 'collar' on there.

After speaking to the bike shop again today they mentioned that they knew about the problem and that it was fairly common. Grr kawasaki.

I ended up taking the tank home before it was fixed thinking I could do it faster than what they were taking.... but now I've realised that I can't fit my hand into the fuel tank so I can't bog it up like I thought. Bugger. I'm going to take it back to the bike shop tomorrow and beg forgiveness and ask them for a second time if they can fix it.

So much time wasted because of a bolt too long that i screwed in too tight. I would never want to be a mechanic, too many things can go wrong.