Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel switch question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Veniamin, May 18, 2013.

1. Hi guys
    I recently got my L's and used 2000 honda magna 250 ( v25 custom) .
    I have a question about fuel switch.
    It has 3 positions( on, off, reserve)the tank is approx half empty.
    The question is should the bike start when the switch is in off position? I think that it shouldn't but it does start and revs well.
    The guy I bought the bike from got RWC 2 days ago so don't think there is any technical issue. May be I just don't understand something and that's how it suppose to be?

Thank you

2. RWC won't check the fuel switch.
    It should start set to Off but is unlikely to run for long if the switch is working.
    You could check it by disconnecting the fuel line with the switch off and see if it trickles out and then stops.

This is definitely a on and off switch? Some Bikes use a vacuum petcock with On, Reserve and Prime settings.
  3. It will still start because there is fuel in the line and the carburetor. It will run for a short time until it runs out of fuel, if the fuel cock is kept in the off position.

The off position is there for when any work was being done on the fuel system as it would prevent fuel spilling when a hose was disconnected or such thing.
  4. A bike will start with the fuel tap off and will run quite happily on the petrol in the carbies for just long enough to get you to the centre of the nearest busy road junction ;).

To be honest, I'm surprised that a bike as late as 2000 has a manual tap rather than a vacuum jobbie. Under normal use, the tap should be set to "ON". When the engine starts to splutter, twiddle the tap to "RES" and fill up as soon as you can. It's worth practicing reaching and turning the tap on the move and familiarising yourself with where it's pointing in the various positions. First thing you should do on stopping at the servo is return the tap to "ON" so you don't forget and run out of fuel.

And always, always turn it to "OFF" if the bike is to stand for more than a few minutes. Turning it back on needs to become part of your pre-start routine.