Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel Leak !

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by owenst, Oct 6, 2006.

1. I have just finished cleaning my bike, and I think I might have had a small disaster. I was in the process of taking the bike off the centre stand when I dropped it, I am fairly new to biking and indeed have only used the centre stand once before.

On further inspection, apart from a small scratch on the silencer, I thought I had got away OK but then I noticed something dripping from a small tube at the bottom of the bike just in front of the rear brake!

The bike is a Suzuki GS 500E and just in front of the rear brake are 3 rubber tubes, one with a small teat on the end. The tube with teat had petrol coming from a small slit in the end. My question is, is this normal? I have had a look at these tubes before but never noticed the slit, the petrol stopped coming after about 10ml had come out, I am not sure if I caused the slit when I dropped the bike: the tube could have got pinched between the frame and the ground and ruptured.

I cleared up the petrol and started the engine, she seemed to run OK and nothing more came out of the tube. Can somebody tell me if I am now on a hunt for a new teat for my tube ? HA ! NO really !

Cheers OT :?: :?: :?:

2. Hmm this could be an overflow tube from the carburettors. Since the bike was horizontal it's possible that some fuel overflowed and thus came out of the tubes.

Somebody else with a GS500 will be able to clear this up for you, but personally I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Yep, it is just the overflow so no need to worry :)

4. Cheers

Cheers People,

Cruisingal I noticed you have a GS500 is the bit on the end of the over flow supposed to have the slit in it ? If I have damaged it does it need to be replaced ?

God damn I hate dropping my bike.(this is the second time now, the first was just before my P's test at the test centre and made me really nervous)............ its so... RUBBISH

5. Re: Cheers

No it doesn't owenst, but I don't think it would matter much unless the hose has actually perished a bit? Are we talking only a wee little split?

6. Re: Cheers

Yeah the tube is fine and slit is about 5mm accross the end running with the seam in the plastic. Thanks for putting my mind at rest Cruingal:grin:

Anybody else has any thoughts I would be glad to hear them!

OT