Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel leak from tap?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by xfghia, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi all

Woke up this morning to a strong petrol smell wafting through the house. Checked the bike and there was small (50c) patch of fulel on the ground I followed the drips from the kickstand up and it looks like the fuel tap has a slow leak.

I turned the tap to res and took it for a 60km ride. Next day, same issue.

Question is, how do I fix this? Bike is a 2002 Honda VTR 250.
  2. have you serached for previous threads? Your tap my need replacing but I am no mechanic, I would search for previous 'petrol leaks' type of threads, you will get help but make an effort!
  3. Sometimes they just need tightening up if there are screws that can be tightened.
    Some can take a "Petcock repair kit". You can get them for earlier VTR250's bit am not sure on your model. You'll need to search.
    Failing that, as posted above, you might need a new tap.
    Check the hose for splits or cracks too and the hose connection.
  4. How old is the tap? If old the O-rings in it may have gotten hard or squashed. Chances are they are repairable.
  5. Thanks for the tips. Not sure how old the tap is as I have only had the bike for 6 months.

If I replace the O ring, do I need to drain the fuel tank first? Sorry if that's a noob question but I'm still learning mechanical skills.

PS - I did a search before posting (I know how annoying it is when people ask the same questions) but couldn't find anything specific to my issue. Either that or I don't know how to use search well! ](*,)
  6. You will need to drain the petrol before you work on it...
    After you replace the O ring then put fuel back in and all should be good!
  7. Draining is probably best.

Don't know your specific tank but you may not need to drain it fully if you can turn it into a position where fuel won't leak out through the tap. However it is unlikely you can do this with a full tank. The emptier it is the better.
  8. Firstly, lay your bike on its side so the fuel doesn't drain out (only joking!) Make sure the new "O" ring has a smear of rubber grease on it so it doesn't grab when the tap's turned, and yes, you'll have to drain the tank first. Also check the screws/bolts that secure the tap to the tank.