Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel in air filter

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Spoketacular, Jan 18, 2014.

1. I have a Kawasaki W400 that I just bought this week. I decided to take it for a ride this morning (as you do on a sunny Saturday), then when I got home and wanted to go out again, it didnt want to start. It seemed to be flooded. There was fuel on the ground, I finally got it to turn over and start but ran very rough, so I didn't go anywhere.
    When I took off the air filter cover, the cavity was leaving fuel What can be causing this problem? Any help at all would be great.

2. dirty needle and seat, incorrect float adjustment
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Wascal, sounds nasty. Is it a costly fix?
  4. An easy fix if you can do the work yourself. Sounds like the carbies need to be removed and given a good clean out. If the bike has been sitting around for a while, with fuel left in the carbies, it can cause the float valve, needle and seat to gum up. You will be getting to much fuel into the carbies, and it will spill out the overflow tube onto the ground. The bike will be flooded. If you don't want to remove the carbies, try this first, using the plastic handle end of a screwdriver, tap gently on the side of each float bowl of the carbies, this can sometimes dislodge a stuck float needle. Has worked for me in the past.
  5. Firstly. You need to rinse/dry air filter prior to starting bike.
    I am not that familiar with the W400, however l am assuming it is a carburettored bike and not EFI.

Try gently tapping float chamber at base of carby, sometimes the float can stick allowing to much fuel to build up, which on these hot days will expand and needs to go somewhere.

Always turn fuel taps off, if bike is left standing on hot days, same reason as above.

Now, if the above didn't fix it...
    Pull carb out and give it a good clean with carb cleaner and compressed air, concentrate on main jet.

Let us know how you go with it!
  6. I think 2010+ Kawasaki W400s are fuel injected?
    Is yours fuel injected?

In my old dirtbike days, when my fourstroke was flooded, I would drop the bike down 90degres (lay it on the ground) & the bowl would flood out, in most cases dislodging what ever was blocking the float needle, then upright & it starts.
    It does leave you a little puddle of fuel on the grass which does go yellow or black depending on if you're a smoker or not.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I wouldnt imagine it taking any more than 1 hour, 2 hours tops, for a good bike mechanic to fix. If that is your problem. Hopefully if any parts are required they stock them. goodluck.
  8. Thanks everyone, your responses are much appreciated. Unfortunately it's beyond my skill level to do the job myself. Can anyone reccomend an honest and good mechanic?

Marx: My W400 is carby and it's a 2008 model.
    Thanks again for all your feedback.
  9. You don't have the the fuel tap switched to Pri(me)?
  10. Hey, I have the bike switched "on" and on res when it's parked as that's what I was told when I bought the bike. Cheers
  11. You don't need to change it when you park it. Just leave it set to "ON". If you then run out of fuel, switch it to REServe.

The fuel tap is also controlled by vacuum.

You may have used the PRIme position in error? This position bypasses the vacuum tap, and could flood the engine/airbox with fuel.

If it still leaks fuel even just on when using the ON position, you may need to install a fuel tap repair kit.
  12. Exactly. For the above to happen you need to have two problems. In process order, firstly the tap needs to be leaking and secondly a float needle needs to be not seating in the carbies.

Despite this double failure requirement, it's really quite common on carbie bikes more than a few years old.

Sometimes you can clear a bit of crap out of the carbies by giving it some berries.

the tap is a relatively easy mechanical exercise. Pull the tank, noting carefully all fuel and vacuum lines. The tap will usually be just two bolts to remove.

Pulling it apart will reveal the problem. It may be just some dirt or it may be a rupture diaphragm. You can buy kits for some taps, but yours is a grey import (?). So it may be an exercise to get a kit for yours.
  13. Spoketacular try and have a go at learning something new about the bike. believe me I knew bugger all about bikes just a few months ago (only started riding a few months ago) but was having a similar problem with the carbs.
    Did some reading and spoke with a few people (also via this website) I then stripped them, cleaned them, checked floats, etc, etc (as mentioned above) turned out to be worn O-rings that seal around the brass pot that the main needle runs through. the worn O-rings where not sealing properly and allowed fuel to spill back through.
    all fixed and running smooth as now
    have a go, you may surprise yourself

stay safe
  14. Hey guys, just a little bit of an update: The guys at SPMin Taren point were incredibly honest (definitely going back there) and said there wasn’t anything wrong, turns out that I’d just flooded the carbs and they drained the fuel bowl and it started no issues. They recommended just taking it for a solid ride, which I did all day today and it worked. No issues… It may need new o rings, but for now it’s not broken, so I guess I won’t fix it?
  15. I plan to service it myself, just not confident enough to start fiddling around with the carbs yet - might do more damage than good. Cheers for all your help :) Now who is from Sydney and wants to go for a ride on Sunday?
  16. lol fair enough.
    if it aint broke don't fix it
  17. Spoke too soon, I was riding it around all day yesterday with no issues, go to start it this morning, wouldn't fire up and then it did.. idling very rough, as soon i touched the throttle it clonked out. I have a feeling it may be the spark plugs?
  18. Or maybe the carbs are being cranky with me and the previous issue may be the case..?
  19. I'd check none of that fuel made it into your oil. Not the cause of your problem but it can result in more "problems".