Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel Economy (or lack of)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by FZR600, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Hi,

I have a 1989 Yamaha FZR 600.

When first purchased and up until just over a month ago, I was getting about 18km/l around town.

Was recently in for a service and a clutch cover replacement.

Since then, I have run the bike dry twice, (no fuel guage, so run of amount of KM's travelled).

The last three times i've filled up, I've gotten 16km/l, 15km/l and tonight, 14.25 km/l.

220km on the clock and i put 15.5 litres in. With a 17 lt tank, i'm not getting close to the 300kms a tank i used to.

1st question - what may have been changed during the service to drop the fuel economy?

2nd question - any suggestions on what i can do to fix this?

3rd - was i just lucky to have gotten such a high km/l ratio?
    ________
    Vfr750F

2. Could it be a fuel leak?

If it's not low on power since the service, the mechanic may have incorrectly fitted a hose, or left something loose.

Just a thought.

JJ

3. Not smelling any excess fuel, but it is running fairly sluggish. Sorta flats out around 4000 revs,
    ________
    Starcraft 2 replays

4. you may want to check out www.exupbrotherhood.com (on the left hand nav bar click 'the list' and it will take you to the forums). They are knowledgable in all things fzr, yzf, r1, etc. (anything that has an exup valve really...). Post in the 'tech tips' section as it receives quick responses!

5. Whip your plugs out and see if it's running rich.

I think it goes:

oily = buggered or you've got a 2-stroke
    black = rich
    white = lean
    biscuit brown = just right

6. I have a 97 yzf600r .. similar bike .. and I get about 16.75 km/l consistantly no matter how I ride it

If you've run the tank dry, it's possible that your carbs were clogged. perhaps carbs not in sync (does the bike buzz?). I'm thinking its probably a carb issue, if nothing else has changed

7. Could simply be a poor tune up.

Had a car could do 100 at 3000rpms went to kmart for atune up and service will do 100 at 3500+rpms and uses up heaps of fuel.

The service before hand was done at an Ultra tune and the guy there did a really good job, thought more power and less fuel used is better than simply running crap and using more fuel.

Check what your RPMs are for a speed and you'll very quickly see what I mean.

either tune it your self or goto another place where you'll get a really good tune up.

8. Bike doesn't buzz, well not that I can hear.

I agree that i've possibly put some gunk into the carbs, so am hoping to put it into be serviced in the next few weeks. Mechanic where it was serviced last advised that Rear Brake Pads, Chain and Sprocket would need to be replaced within the next 2000km's and its nearly there.

I swapped bikes with my fiancee for a week, and she got around the 15km/l range, so I know its not how i ride.
    ________
    VAPORGENIE REVIEWS

9. Where are you located we may be able to suggest a better mechanic?