Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fuel cap switch and boot switch not working - Suzuki Across

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by horto15, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out with this: Up until this weekend I had no problems with the button for popping the fuel compartment on the back of the Across (1992 model) and no problems with popping open the boot compartment (usually opens when the key is turned past ignition as far right as possible).

I did have the faring off and was fiddling around replacing the rear light switch cable and since then neither of these are working anymore - I have to do both manually. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have done wrong - perhaps blown a fuse or something? I have had a quick look in the service manual but couldn't find anything useful. Also I don't know where the fuse box is i havent had time to look for it.

Please help!! (yes I'm a noobie and admit I probably f**ed something up). I'm no electrician but am fairly comfortable playing around with wires, etc...

2. Re: Fuel cap switch and boot switch not working - Suzuki Acr

That'd be the first stop - it's never the fuse, but I figure the day you don't bother checking it is the day it finally IS the fuse.

3. Yeah well I don't really know how I could have blown a fuse, but having said that I will definitely check it out... its got me stumped cos I'm confident I didnt pull anything out or blow anything... :S

4. Pull it all apart and trace them back. The fact both have stopped working is suspicious. Make sure your battery terminals are firmly tightened aswell.

I'm not sure how the switches etc work on an across. Did 1 stop working before the other?

5. Nah both at the same time from what I gathered. I will have to pull it all apart on the weekend and see what I can work out but yeah its got me puzzled. Grrr!

6. How did you go with this issue?

i just bought an across and both the "boot" and fuel cap wont release. Really annoying to have to remove the seat to open both of them.

I was planning on replacing the solenoids but if there may be a easier fix it would be great to know. Strange that both dont work at the same time.

Cheers, Pok

7. Pok,

I'll be honest with you mate I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, so I am doing the same as you - popping the seat every time. I will finally get a chance to look at it this sunday as I have a free afternoon. I will let you know on monday how I go with it and if you work it out before I do, please let me know as well! It is obviously a "routine" problem then if you have the same issue which is good to know

J

8. Pok,

I'll be honest with you mate I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, so I am doing the same as you - popping the seat every time. I will finally get a chance to look at it this sunday as I have a free afternoon. I will let you know on monday how I go with it and if you work it out before I do, please let me know as well! It is obviously a 'routine' problem then if you have the same issue which is good to know

J

9. ok cool well hopefully you will have some luck.

Cheers, Pok

10. If they both don't work it's highly likely it will be the fuse, they will both be on the same circuit. It would be VERY unlikely to have 2 solenoids go at the same time.

:)

11. Can anyone tell me where the fuse box is, or what im looking for? Im used to dealing with cars...

I will be looking for it tomorrow a'noon any help appreciated

12. if you have the service manual it should tell you where the fusebox is, I vaguely remember it was under the boot next to the battery....could be wrong though

13. It is under the "boot". You need to undo two bolts at the handle bar (front end of boot), two bolts inside the boot...front end, right and left side, and two bolts on the outside of the fairing.

The boot will then lift up on its hinge.

The fuse box is to the right of the battery.

Will get my bike back from mechanic on tuesday (been in having a service and general check after I bought it) so if problem still happening I will check the fuse and get back to you.

Pok

14. +1 to those blokes.

Get used to lifting that boot up, you need to do that for most maintenance things on the Across.

15. Awesome, thanks guys - I will have a look at it tonight! (time permitting)

16. Pok,

I popped the fuse box and had a look last night, all fuses were fine.
    I will be interested to hear what your mechanic says about it, otherwise maybe ill jsut change all fuses on the off chance, or get used to popping the boot manually :?

17. Got my bike from the mechanic today.

Checked the fuses and all four are good, swapped them just in case but no luck so the solenoids must be playing up.

Will have to check them....will have to get to that in a few days or so.

Pok

18. Hordo,

I didnt realise you had added this post.

I didnt get the mechanics to look at it as I figured it would be a simple fix and don't fancy paying the marked up price for parts etc. I changed the fuses hoping on the off chance it would work...but no luck.

Next step is to test solenoids to make sure they are working (by attaching a battery directly to them to give power. If they work then there is an issue with wiring, if the dont work....well replace solenoids.

Hope this helps a little. Atleast you know your not in boat alone.

Pok

19. Pok,

Thanks for the advice mate, I completely understand what you are saying, I just don't know what a solenoid is/does/looks like. Any help on where to look would be a great help

Thanks,
    J

20. Hordo,

A solenoid looks like a small metal cylinder with cables running from it and an actuator (arm). When it gets power the arm will retract allowing the spring to let go of the latch.

There is one per latch (one for boot and one for fuel)

The one for the fuel hatch is under the seat. Located just infront of the fuel hatch.
    aV2Tejvr.
    The one for the boot is located inside the boot at the rear (behind the carpet)
    aV2Teyti.

Hope that helps a bit,

Pok
    [/img]