Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Froze my bollocks off

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by ralph, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Please, i know i need to harden up, so let me get that out there before someone chirps in..

I went for a ride to richmond to lithgow and back down the great western highway yesterday. First time going all the way up bells line. I was in my leather jacket and hornee jeans.

First, its a pretty damn nice ride.

2nd, farrrk its starting to get cold. i left about 7am and headed to richmond then up bells. By the time i got to lithgow, i was shivering on the bike while riding. I actually started to think this is a little dangerous... your hands are cold as, so movement was a bit restricted, and shivering while riding, cant be that safe.

I didnt think i was that underdressed, but have only been riding since september, so this is my first time riding in colder temps. So i need to obviously wear a jumper under my leather jacket - it has a winter insert, but that wasnt enough. My gloves, I need to get winter gloves to keep the hands warm, but also to lock over the top of my jacket so cold wind isnt heading up my arms... How does one keep there legs warm?? What do others wear under there jeans??

what do you do to stay warm during winter so you can keep riding regularly ?

anyways a good learning experience leading into winter.

2. thermals are the go. but jeans still get really cold if they get a bit wet so something waterproof might be the go. i hate winter gloves and have heated hand grips. :grin:

we mexicans are good at keeping warm in winter

3. I prefer the warmer weather and froze on my ride to Lorne and back on Easter. However, I never had my winter insert that day. Just one more layer can make all the difference. You might find that an extra t-shirt or maybe a long sleeve one will make all the difference. I wear motox knee pads under my Hornees and find that they stop the wind from hitting my lower legs and the tank stops the wind on my upper legs. I presume on your XVS650 you get the wind coming up your jeans due to the riding position. Maybe you need to get thermals.

I haven't got winter gloves and usually my hands are the last things to get cold so I don't think I'll need any. I read somewhere that silk gloves under normal leather gloves does the trick and its not a very expensive option (around $20 max). I don't know anyone who has them so can't verify how well they work.

If you have wet weather overpants and/or a jacket then they can stop a lot of wind chill too. That could be another thing to try.

4. I've found that jeans aren't so warm, the best thing is a proper pair of pants, i have a pair of ixon textiles and they work pretty well. With the jacket obviously wearing a jumper underneath will help.

5. When it gets cold, I start wearing a pair of merino thermals underneath my gear... even with jeans, a textile jacket (with it's own inserts) and just a t-shirt under that, i'm toasty warm throughout winter.

I also have a neck warmer, which removes the only other part of exposed skin.

6. Don't be such a WUSS!

Take a big dose of HTFU! :evil:

pssst . . . get yourself a pair of these they look like normal jeans so no one'll ever know. The waterproof/thermals are best.:wink:

7. happens at least once to everyone, you can follow the evolution of a new rider over the forum topics....

Thinking of getting a bike
    Did my Course
    Got a Bike (with pics)
    Dropped it front of hot girl/guy/servo/bikers
    How much to fix fairings?
    Should i swap with my mate?

then about 6 months later in autumn...

FARK ME ITS COLD!! :D

8. Lol Smidge....

Suggest you get a winter set. Got a pair of Rjays pants for $200 with removable liner.
    Works a treat for me on the 5.30 am ride to work.. :)

9.  Top
  10. Thermal underwear first, something waterproof (therefore windproof) last.
    Whatever you need in between.
    Having done a lot of winter riding around the Canberra area years ago, heated grips are gold, particularly if they're on your gf's Moto Guzzi Le Mans and she's out of town for a while!

11. sounds like you need a thermal lined blouse to me.

12. Here is a tip for dressing when on a bike.

Now listen up....

The temp on bike is about 10 - 15 degrees colder than what the temp is at the time.

13. next time pull over at a servo (or shop)
    buy a paper or magazine
    and stuff it down your jacket (between jacket and t-shirt)
    and it will keep the cold from your chest

14. Go to a ski shop. They have loads of windproof thermals which are thin, and can fit under your jacket.

Alternatively get a thicker jacket. Leathers are not great for keeping you warm.

I wear my leather jacket with Mountain Hardwear Windproof thermals...but when it gets into single digits I put on my DriRider Nordic Pro.

Under my jeans I just wear boots and also Fox knee and shin guards...keeps the jeans off your skins.

I also warm my hands up around the exhaust and engine at traffic lights. :grin:

15. I find getting off the bike and doing a series of 25 metre sprints gets enough blood pumping for another 50 kays. Don't underestimate how much that can warm you up, especially when you are wearing full gear!!

16. Even for the coldest rides I just wear warm clothes, then over the top (though under my jacket) I wear my plastic rain suit, in such a way (combined with a neck warmer) to cut out all wind. Wind is the enemy. I fond this does me good, despite my cold Brando jacket and 1970s gauntlets.

I've ridden through a freezing day in thick fog on a mate's bike with heated grips fitted. I can recommend them very very highly - it was like riding with a hot cup of tea clasped in my hands. You can get Oxford removable grips for $100 or you can make your own - just google them.

The XVS is a colder bike to ride, I suspect - opens you up to the wind.

17. Thermals are the way to go.

My jacket is warm enough for me, but with the jeans, my knee's get seriously cold. So I just wear some long thermal pants under my jeans, then all is good.

18. Buy a set of ixon/rjays textile pants with a waterproof liner. I prefer the ixon as they have a waterproof, removable liner that actually works in the rain and it doubles as a wind break. I bought it a size larger and wear it over my jeans / shorts / whatever I am wearing that day and it works a treat, even in single digit temps (with the liner in) and will hopefully offer similar protection to draggins (dunno really).

Glove liners apparently work well or heated grips (don't use either but might this winter), then singlet, shirt, jumper and if the leather jacket is too cold then a textile jacket with waterproof liner to block the wind makes a big difference.

I love the waterproof and thermal liners in my dririder and can use both at once or just one at a time (but I hate the build quality and stitching quality).

19. Frozen stiff

I rode from Melbourne through Ballarat early one morning in the middle of winter (stoopid idea, but had to get back for work). I was soooo cold I stopped off in Ballarat to get a coffee, and the radio in the cafe stated that it was -5! I was only wearing jeans, t-shirt, flanny, jumper, and a Walden - Miller waxed cotton jacket, and cheap ski gloves.

When I got home I drove down the driveway, stopped, went to get off the bike, and couldn't move my legs before the old CB fell to the ground, with me still sitting on it, and still hanging on to the bars! I lay there for a few minutes laughing, and shivering, before I could drag myself out.

I worked out the windchill factor, and it was around -27 celcius at 100kmh.

20. well i have a preforated leather jacket, so its great during warm summer days/nights but freakin cold during winter cause it lets the cold air flow in better. :?
    what i do is just wear normal shirt, then a jacket underneath my leathers, works a treat. :cool:
    i wear some hornee jeans so they dont really do much to protect me against the cold, esp when your seating position/legs directs the air to a certain part of your body.. :wink:
    i just wear some pants underneath my jeans cause they are pretty loose anyway. now all i need is a pair of boots so my feet dont get cold! ohh and a neck warmer/balaclava :grin: