Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

front wheel wobble

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jedda, May 23, 2008.

1. hi all got a prob with my bike woundering if any one can help its a gpx250 done 3,000km and i tried the other day to see if i can take my hands off the bar whilst moving at 60kph as a result i only took them off looseley and after a few seconds it started giving me the death wobbles so i put them back on i went home thinking something may have been loose but found everything tight wheels shocks u name it all is tight i get nothing as im riding at all but was just woundering if i should be worried cos i dont wish to have trouble with anything and seeing im new to bikes i dont know if this is normal or not if u think i have a prob could some one please point me in the right direction cos im stumped atm i dont think its tire balance but i could be wrong any input would be apreachated thanks all

2. Ask your mechanic to check the steering head bearings - they could be loose.

It could also be an asymmetric front tyre tread getting worn out - what sort of tyre is it?
  3. re wheel wobble

hey azi thanks for getting back to me so soon the head bolts are tight and tyre is a couple of months old it a dunlop k63OF brand the std one from factory i will check it in morning with some light
    but thanks for getting back to me so soon if this isnt the case i dont know where to look lol
  4. It's probably not the tyre as a K630F looks symmetrical. I have ridden bikes with half worn Bridgestones (BT45 and BT020) that do the wobble, and then the wobble goes away with a new tyre.

My money is on the bearings being loose, presuming that you haven't crashed or dropped the bike. I'd get it looked at under warranty if it's less than a year old.
  5. re wheel wobble

thanks asi will do this as well but i was just woundering if all is tight and it not tire well lol
    but i will get it checked any how and no i have to safely admit i havent droped it as yet and deff not smashed it lol well time will tell for those two
    comments as im still learning lol but i do try to take care of it its me new toy one i want to keep going and looking good as well lol
  6. Check your tyre pressure, and if it still does it

don't fret because this is common on many bikes especially
    steel-framed Kawasakis and bikes with 16" front wheels (yours is both)
    there's nothing wrong with it, it's just the way they're built

if it wobbles decelerating with your hands off the bars, then
    don't decelerate with your hands off the bars! :grin:
  7. I had that with the standard tire, Changed to the cheapest of the cheap tires(And thus about 10 times better than stock) and the effect is lessened although still there.
    With mine, I can take my hands off the bars and while it will wobble, it isn't all that bad.
  8. Although mine is a dirt bike, I had a similar problem shortly after taking delivery... All things mentioned above were checked and seen to be fine - last ditch effort by BTX was to check the fork springs, one was broken, replaced under warranty and has never wobbled since.
  9. Its a hugely predictable wobble anyway.
    It takes about 5 - 10 seconds to build with no hands on the bars, by that time you are going pretty slow anyway.
    A single finger on the bars will stop it, and its not violent, its smooth.
  10. Try punctuation, so people will bother reading your posts..........

Regards, Andrew.
  11. re wheel wobble

thanks to you all typhoon etelmo blue freak hotcam and last but not least azi who was first to help me out
    i have done all the checks recomended by u all and have found that all is tight and operating correctly i also yesterday went down to my local bike mechanic and asked him as well and found what he had said to me you all have said to me this morning when i read this esp about the tyre size and being a kawasaki thank u all for your replys
    you have put my mind at ease safe riding to you all
    and once again thank you all

keep your rubber on the rd not your skin