Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front-wheel Lockup = Ouch.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zenali, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I searched for this animated gif but didn't see it anywhere. Looks like he needed to practice his stoppies more before trying them on the highway.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't think that is a lockup. Failed stoppie? Yes.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. There is a bit where the wheel kicks suddenly to one side. Looks to me like what happens when you lock the front wheel. Could be wrong - looks painful either way.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oh yeah, I see it.
  5. That's when his hands leave the bars.
  6. I think that it is the cause of his hands leaving the bars, not the effect. (the tyre kicking out that is)
  7. That's the way I read it too. The front wheel tucks under and he loses his grip on the bars, at which point there is nothing slowing him down anymore and he becomes airborne.

Hard to slow down an animated gif though. It would be interesting to find the original footage and watch it in slow mo.
  8. Iirc it's on nr. Seen it years ago. Can't remember what it was called though.
  9. Just open it in Photoshop, you get a frame by frame.

He either tried for a rolling stoppie and overcooked it, or just grabbed a good handfull when he saw the car coming up quick, sticky tyre, and up the back went, when it got to balance point it kicked. There is no lock up/slide, tyre gripped, brakes and physics did the rest.
  10. Should be called "Squeeze, don't grab".
  11. looks more like brain freeze.
  12. Man that looks painful!
    Would gripping more with his knee might have prevented the hand coming off or the additional steering input that caused the first twitch?
  13. Watch what happens when you reach the overbalance point, that's why nice wide mx bars are on stunt bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  14. If your not going to stop in time, Go around the car, Missing dont hurt
    ,IOM TT, where any thing can happen, and does. Thats another video on there,
  15. umm... I think its pretty clear he was just trying to get into the back of the car. hardly a fail.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Of course! They just needed to open the back window of the car.
  17. Wow - that is an educational video all right. The front wheel really does buck from side to side. I've never had that happen to me, except when the front wheel locked. Good find.