Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front tyre wobbles after new tyres

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by entropy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. #1 entropy, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Hi netriders,

First post so sorry if it's in the wrong place. (Please let me know where it should be)

Got my first bike at the start of this year, Ninja 300. Over the weekend I got a new set of Pirelli Sport Demons fitted. During the last 3 days I've noticed on the freeway at speeds between 80-90kms the front wheel starts to wobble like crazy.

Before the tyre change I could easily have 1 or no hands on the handle bars and the bike would be smooth and stay in a straight line, now unless I have both hands on the handle bars pushing a decent amount of force forwards it feels like I'm going to get flicked off.

Even when slowing down from around 80km to 0 at a red light unless I have a decent amount of force on the handle bars I'm definitely going to get thrown off.

Could anybody shed some light on this and let me know what the issue is? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking at.

P.S. The front tyre was definitely balanced correctly and was only done like 4 days ago so I don't think it could be out of alignment already..?
    Thanks! :nailbiting:

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing. I do remember that the front tyre needed to be pumped up to about 90psi before it 'popped' onto the rim and I've just found this post on another site who stated similar issues and had his front tyre swapped to fix the issue. Is it a possibility that there's something wrong with the actual tyre itself?
    Can't link other site because It's my first post!

2. Go back to whichever workshop performed the work to discuss/ resolve.
    ( by the sound of it without delay, "do not pass go, do not collect $200" )

3. Before the tyre change I could easily have 1 or no hands on the handle bars and the bike would be smooth and stay in a straight line, now unless I have both hands on the handle bars pushing a decent amount of force forwards it feels like I'm going to get flicked off.

Even when slowing down from around 80km to 0 at a red light unless I have a decent amount of force on the handle bars I'm definitely going to get thrown off.

Could anybody shed some light on this and let me know what the issue is? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking at.

P.S. The front tyre was definitely balanced correctly and was only done like 4 days ago so I don't think it could be out of alignment already..?
    Thanks! :nailbiting:

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing. I do remember that the front tyre needed to be pumped up to about 90psi before it 'popped' onto the rim and I've just found this post on another site who stated similar issues and had his front tyre swapped to fix the issue. Is it a possibility that there's something wrong with the actual tyre itself?
    Can't link other site because It's my first post![/quote]

I agree with Mike but to go a little further, PLEASE STOP RIDING THE MOTORCYCLE. There are many things that may have been mislayed. There is an arrow at the side of the tyre. Check that it is going in the correct direction. Have a look at the front tyre from the front with the handlebars straight. Does it fit in exactly and align with the front mudguard (they may have swapped the spacers). Check your current PSI (check the chainguard or left swingarm sticker and it will tell you the correct PSI and make sure that it is the single person PSI. Don't go with the PSI on the actual tyre or what your mates tell you). If the PSI is low, the tyre valve may not be in properly so if you put air in, listen for a hiss or put bubbly spit on the valve to see if it stays or blows out. Hold the bike upright and put your knees either side of the front tyre (like you used to when you were a kid straightening your push bike tyre) and wiggle with force to see if there is movement (don't drop it). There may be a rubber plug guide missing. See if you can grab the front axle nut and turn it with your fingers. I can tell you right now that something is very wrong and it will be dangerous to ride. FYI all of the above have happened to me after I had bikes back from reputable dealerships. That's why I do my own now... when possible. Good luck and safe riding. Cheers, paulhart.

4. Oops, 1 more thing that I forgot that I have done before myself. There is 1 or 2 lock nuts at the front bottom of the suspension that locks the axle. these may have been overtightened (and snapped) or loose and still loose or fallen off. Usually these require locktight and correct torgue tension. This could let the axle undo or loosen if not fitted correctly.

5. Thanks guys. I'll be doing all those things first thing tomorrow when I get home from work. I won't be riding it again.

6. I would have said the front wheel needs 'balancing'; however, if you think this has been done correctly, I'd look at this:
    *Tyre pressure correct?
    *Tyre fitted with the directional arrow going the correct way?

*Seat the front axle.
    Do this by placing the bike on the centre stand (if it doesn't have one, then support it so the front end can be raised slightly)

Undo the pinch nuts that clamp onto the front axle, then loosen the front axle slightly.

Now, spin the front wheel (wheel off the ground) and pull the front brakes on a few times, then push the front wheel into the ground depressing the forks slightly. These actions will seat the axle properly.

Now tighten the front axle to the required spec, the tighten the pinch nuts (usually only around 10Nm torque, so don't go heavy handed on these, or they will snap).

Take it for a test ride!

if still not right, check the balance of the wheel again.
    a basic check can be done at home, raise front wheel, remove brake caliper/s and tie them out of the way, now slowly spin the wheel and see were the heavy spot settles (at bottom), mark this with chalk, then give it another spin. if it is balanced correctly, you will not get the same spot settling at the low point twice.

Hope this help!
    keep us posted on what you find!
    cheers
    Dobbo

7. I had the same thing happen to me with a pair of Sport Demons I had fitted to a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva. The bike was good before the new tyres and I could ride one hand, but after I had to ride both hands and the nut on the head stem kept coming loose. My mechanic (who didn't fit the tyres) wasstarting to get worried and then I sold the bike and got a better one. I've just replaced the tyres at the same place as before with Michelins and no problems have shown up.

8. wait what?!?! <<< buyer of the 750 o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. As all have stated DO NOT RIDE THIS BIKE! Also you need to be aware there is a current recall on ABS equipped EX300's, this from the letter a young bloke up here has just received on his 300!
    The anti-lock function may not perform properly allowing for wheel lock up and skidding, increasing the risk of a crash. Present your motorcycle to your nearest Kawasaki dealer, the dealer will replace the affected ABS pumps with a new assembly at no cost.

10. Traci, Pete (the mechanic) said that it wasn't the head bearings and he had adjusted them so that they were right. When I told him about the tyre change he said that the tyre could be the culprit. I only had the problem when Canberra Motorcycle Centre fitted a front Sport Demon. If I had have been keeping the bike I would have got a new tyre and had them take it for a test ride before accepting it. Personally I think it was the tyre not being fitted properly that caused the head shake. If I had two hands on the bars I really didn't notice the shake, it was only when I had one hand one the bars that it was noticeable. It didn't particularly worry me while I was riding, but talk to Pete about it, he's coming back from America and starting work again on Friday. He didn't think it was too much of a problem, but have a chat with him for your own peace of mind.

11. Hmmm so that's 2 people had wheel wobbles with sports demons.

12. Umm, you sold a bike privately and didn't mention this? :censored:

13. I sold the bike and did mention it. The bike was due new tyres and I sold it at a reduced price because it needed new tyres. It was bought after that information had been shared with the buyer. $3500 for a 2 year old bike with 56000km on it is a very reasonable price, when the only thing it needed was new tyres. Or don't you think so, Bjpitt.

14. I'm going off traciv's post.

15. She has now had the bike 3 months and I have not received any calls or emails about problems with the bike. I sold the bike in good faith and good condition apart from the tyres, and told her about the slight head shake if you took a hand off the bars before she even test rode it. She rode it around the block, said that she had noticed it and still wanted it. What more should I have done?
    It was really worth another grand more than I was asking but my ex partner wanted it gone, so I accepted less. There was another person who wanted it as well who was there at the same time. He heard me tell the buyer about the shake and he still wanted it too. They eventually tossed a coin to see who would buy it.

16. Yeah - I put new tyres on not long after, but they are also Sport Demons... didn't get CMC to put it on. But others here can attest that I am still struggling to feel as much as home on her as I did on the GS.

17. Sorry - at the time they tyres had to be replaced anyway - both tyres were a little slippy being at the end of their life.

Sorry - didn't mean to get @wyno questioned... just surprised me and possibly made some sense. I have had her 3 months, she is pretty, she is steady, but her and I just don't quite get on particularly with right hand corners... I need to get some more one on one time away from Melbourne traffic!

18. I do love that it was done by coin toss.

I honestly forgot the front wobble, the slipperiness from the age of tyres was what caught me.

Again - sorry for causing any drama. Just thought it might cover some issues I'm having getting comfortable with her, but I think in the end it's just that I haven't spent enough time getting to know her.

19. Traci, that could be because of the torque reaction from the across the frame motor. I'm finding the same thing with the new bike. I go faster round left turns.

20. It's running out of round, sometimes when the tyre is being inflated it can take a fair bit of pressure to come out of the round and up the 90 deg square shoulder in the rim before the bead will seat, so ....with that amount of pressure it's seated itself out of round, easily fixed.