Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front Sprocket - you'd be surprised!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by DarkHorse, Nov 4, 2009.

1. I know this has been done before, but I figured that it had been a while and was worth bringing to everyone's attention again:

Make the effort and clean your front sprocket once in a while!!!

I had my fairing and stator off over the weekend anyway, so decided to get in and give everything a good clean. Now, I'm usually pretty good with keeping my chain clean and lubed, now I'm thinking maybe too good. This is what I found when I took the front sprocket off:

Pretty full-on, huh? Sorry about the sh*tty photo, but you get the idea. Note the colour of the sprocket, and take my word that the grease build-up on the back of the cover was the same behind it.

So I went to work with a can of de-greaser, a toothbrush, scrubbing brush and a rag. Got it to look like this afterwards:

Whole job took about an hour (plus another one trying to scrub all the grease off my hands!) but worth it. Probably gained a pony or two by removing all that drag too!

2. Wow. lol

Whenever I wash the bike, I always remove that cover and clean it to prevent just that kind of buildup.
  3. WOW! You struck GOLD! :p
  4. wear gloves next time....
  5. Wish I took photo's of mine when I did it a few weeks back. The grease was literally built up to about 15mm thick. Had to scrape it out with a large flathead screwdriver first.

Dont think it'd been done, ever.
  6. Just knock out the big bits with a piece of wood and bolt it back on.