Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

front slipping

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by halifax, Oct 5, 2006.

1. now this has happened before but its happening too much lately. As the title says the front tyre keeps slipping out for a second then gripping leaving me a little scared. I think its the tyre pressure as I cant see anything on the actual tyre that would make it slip also the tyre has plenty of tread left. Anyway im open to suggestions whats making it move and also any tips on how to stop it from doing it?

Cheers guys

2. If your tyres are old or they've had their available hot and cold cycles the rubber may be off. Another possibility is that the edge of the tyres are scalloped.

3. Mate I'd take that into a shop and get them to check out the front end suspension/bearings etc. You don't want to muck around with unpredictable handling.

4. I'd bet on old/hard tyres. They can have heaps of tread but no grip. If they are a couple of years old, probably time for a change.

5. If you are always riding the same route and this happens it actualy may be the road i.e. oil on the road..just a question for ever one but how often dhould you check your fork oil levels? what are the signs that you need to chk it?

6. Under what conditions does this happen?

7. 1. Shagged, low pressure, or out of balance tyre.
    2. Front brakes are misbehaving, possible warped rotor catching at one point or caliper pistons slightly stuck on.
    3. Messed up front suspension; possibly no (or too much?) fork oil.

8. I agree with Ashes. Motorcycle rubber can go off surprisingly quickly. Front tyres can get neglected a bit as they don't wear out as fast as rear ones. any tyres over two years old can be well on the way out. Lack of effective damping can cause the front to patter over small bumps and skip, causing the front to wash out easily. The combination is diabolical on a wet road. Check the fork oil. It must be at the right level. With many bikes the damping is adjustable, on others the only real adjustment is in the viscosity of this oil.

9. Start with the simple things first methinks.
    First you should answer Loz's question and tell us the kind of situations it happens in. Low speed cornering or higher speed cornering or straight line braking etc....
    Maybe even take a piccy of your front tyre and post it up for us.
    Personally i think if you are cornering that hard and can make the front slip (and then regain control) you probably shouldn't be posting in the beginners section!! ;)
    Most likely your front tyre has too high air pressure or isn't adequately warmed up when this actually happens.

10. I went through this with the GTR. I replaced for oil (helped) and then the front tyre, which cured the problem.
    I also made an efort to concentrate on always powering out of a corner, taking some pressure off the front tyre. Powering out doesn't have to mean winding it on, just more power than maintaining speed works.
    The GTR responded well to this, it's a heavy bike with a small front tyre.

Regards, Andrew.

11. That's the thing it only happens when low speed cornering. I thought about the throttle idea of powering it on but still does it anyway ill have a closer look tonight maybe there's something on the tyre i missed

12. 2 questions:

Did you buy the Spada 'straight off the boat'??

Have you changed the tyres since buying it??

Chances are those tyres could be anywhere up to 18 years old (which I doubt), but I reckon I'm with Ashes on thinking it's old rubber...

13. Could be cold tires - yes/no
    does it happen on a majority of cnrs or just something particular?
    maybe your suspension is a little too hard, if it is try adjusting it and see.

I did some suspension tweaks the other night and a few clicks and turns and the bike cnrs so much easier now.

14. Could be cold tires - yes/no
    does it happen on a majority of cnrs or just something particular?
    maybe your suspension is a little too hard, if it is try adjusting it and see.

I did some suspension tweaks the other night and a few clicks and turns and the bike cnrs so much easier now.