Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front preload adjustment issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Superunknown, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Hi people,

I got myself some new handlebars and getting them to fit over the preload bolts on the forks is going to be tight. I have seen pictures and read forum thread where people have fitted these handlebars with the stock bar spacers, so they should fit. I looked in the manual and the preload is set to their 2nd softest setting stock, and I'm not a particularly light guy, so i thought I'd give give them a quick tweak to get some extra room. The manual just says turn the nut clockwise to stiffen.

But i can't get the nut to move! is there some trick to this? I did notice a little bolt down to the side (see photo) but I'm not so sure this will help me. I'm a little hesitant to go undoing things in such a vital area of the bike.I'm using the proper 6 sided spanner in the bike tool kit.

Photo from the top.

Photo from the side.

What they are supposed to look like when fitted (on the newer model but still demonstrates my problem)

2. You don't adjust the big 6-sided nut, you adjust the stem with 2 flats on
    it. Probably use an 8mm or 10mm open-end spanner.
  3. hey no worries, you wouldn't be the first person to be confused
    by an instruction manual translated from asian to english :grin: