Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

front paddock stand needed? are they much use?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by emilmh, Jan 23, 2007.

1. just recently got my first bike with no center stand. Now i am looking at getting a paddock stand to help with maintenance, but im wondering how useful it is to get a stand for the front aswell? Is it much help, or any use at all really?

2. It's only going to be useful if you're planning on taking the front wheel off, or the forks (depending on the type of stand you get).

I've always just used a car jack with a bit of wood under the downpipes and sidestand down. It works better than it sounds...

3. I have a front stand that goes under the steering head and it is very useful (albeit it cost a lot). Very stable and I can take the forks out or, indeed, the engine. If you do the work, you get the value.

Under-fork stands let you take out the front wheel but that's all. They tend to be unstable and often they get in the way of using tools/access to axles etc. Adequate for tyres but no good for fork operations.

Both stands need to be used with a rear stand or the bike will fall. Make sure your stands will fit both your current AND your next bike.

The cheap alternative is to hang your bike from the rafters using tie-downs.

4. I use a head stock stand pretty regulary on my track bike, but not so much on the road bike. If you know somone with one and are just road riding, I'd suggest borrowing it when you need to...