Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front Master Brake Cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by GTR93F, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I have a Honda NX 650 Dominator 1998 Model

I brought a couple of weeks ago front a guy who said no problems getting rego, me being trusting didn't give the bike a good look over till i got him

i noticed front brakes felt spongey and knew there was an issue, sure enough mechanic has said needs a front master refurb kit, no biggie, only that honda is on back order for 3 weeks

does anyone have any suggestions how i might get the bike back on the road sooner? (aftermarket master?) as i have just got my L'S and keen to ride

Thanks in advance

2. Critical thing with a master cylinder is the internal diameter of the cylinder itself. Most mc's I've seen have this stamped on them somewhere. Usually in the region of 12/13/14 mm. As long as your mc has no switchgear attached to it which might be awkward to substitute, any master cylinder with the same internal diameter and with a clamp to fit a standard 7/8 inch handlebar (pretty universal apart from Harleys, Harley clones and old Triumphs) will do the job. You should be able to get a nice shiny late model one off a short wheelbase sports bike at your local wreckers :D.

You might want to change your brake hoses at the same time unless they are already aftermarket braided jobs. Old hoses are a common source of sponginess.

Once all the new kit is on, just make sure there's a decent amount of clearance between lever and bar when you squeeze as hard as you physically can and you'll be good to go.
  3. Wemoto (UK) do rebuild kits for most things, otherwise eBay has a few too, but mostly located overseas...

I have used the Wemoto one with very good results, the rest appear to be identical anyway.

Cheap too, under $50 IIRC.