Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

front fork prob?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by greaser, Jan 19, 2010.

1. hi all,upon closer inspection of my leaking front fork there seems to be lots of score marks running down the fork,if i replace the seal will this stop the leak or is the oil seeping through the scratches also(scores are v slight but can feel 1 or 2 with finger nail).if not what next??cheers

2. If you've got longitudinal scores in the fork leg that you can feel with a fingernail, the fork leg is basically toast. Oil can get through scratches you can barely see, so you'll still get leaks even with a new seal.

It's possible to get fork legs rechromed and ground back to size, but, unless you ride something unique, replacement with either new tubes or good SH parts is likely to be cheaper and quicker.
  3. you can also try some very very very fine wet and dry and a buffer and see if you can buff them out, but otherwise yep new or s/h inner tube, and really if you are replacing the seals the tube is pretty easy change over part
  4. +1, start scouring the wreckers ...
  5. Well, yes, I've seen surprisingly good results from filling rust pits (standard problem in the UK) with Araldite and then polishing with progressively finer grades of wet and dry. However, it's quite a lot of work for no guarantee. Unless you're poor enough to be eating out of bins, replacement is the way to go.
  6. i gave it a rub with wetn dry sandpaper,seemed to smooth it out a bit but not perfect,put in the new seal,refitted the fork gave her a bit of torture,and she looks fine so far!