Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front disc rubbing (Suzuki Across)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by horto15, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

Another question that I wanted to pose for your input:

The front disc on my Across makes a rubbing noise whenever I am riding around – it never used to but I have a front disc lock that I use and twice I have gone to take off forgetting it was still connected (once slowly once quickly). I think that I have bent the disc slightly so that now when it runs through the brake pads, it rubs. Would this be correct, and is it an issue? I have been riding like it for about 2 months but never thought to worry too much about it since I don’t think it is a big issue.

A friend (rider) told me that over time, the disc will wear down and it wont happen any more… I haven’t noticed any adverse effects to braking performance at all

Thanks guys, looking forward to your feedback
    J

2. Sounds about right .. You've probably buckled the disc or bent the caliper.
    PS: By the time the discs wears enough .. it'll be undersize.
    I suggest replacing it.

3. Yep, you'll get preferential wear on the high spots alright - but this just leads to them becoming thinner, which then leads to massive temperature differences in the rotor, until finally the rotor explodes.
    It'll also cause a "pulsing" of the brakes which reduces overall efficiency.
    Best to get the run-out of the rotor checked and replace it if necessary.

4. dont forget to wear a rubber
    next time

PqGnisJ.

5. Who ever invented Disc locks must have shares in the disc company .How many times has this happened ....And most (not all) locks sold on the market don't have the rubber included its like they want you to forget ...I reckon it a conspiracy... :wink: :roll:

6. Yes I will definitely be running a cord of some sort through the disc lock and up to the handlebar as a visual reminder to remove it… :S

OK so as I understand it I should take the bike somewhere to have the disc assessed and (most likely) replaced… I suppose bikeworks in Tas is the obvious choice given they are the suzuki dealer and I don’t know of many bike mechanics in Hobart…