Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front Brakes on a Virago

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by scottomcgotto, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Morning!!

I just have a quick question. The front brake on the Virago has started making a nasty grinding sound, which I know can't be good. Having a close look I can’t see any damage to the rotor but should I replace it as well as the pads? Sorry if this is a really basic question.

Also can anyone give me a rough price on what it would cost, to replace just the pads and to replace both pads and rotor.

Thanks in advance
  2. Guessing that the grinding noise either means that something has gotten between the pads and rotor, or that the pads have worn down to the backing plate. Run your finger over the rotor, if it still feels flat and smooth then it probably doesn't need to be replaced. Don't know the price for Virago front pads but they shouldn't be that expensive (less than 50 bucks).
    Edit: new rotor's probably going to be a couple of hundred at least, more if you're paying someone else to do the work.
  3. Thanks JD, is it hard to replace the pads? There really isn't any damage at all on the rotor, so I think the pads might be the way to go. Actually thinking about it, I don't think brakes are something I want to play with myself, might let some professionals do it...
  4. Some brake pads are deliberately designed to make a noise when the pads need replacing. I know that's the case for some cars and it wouldn't surprise me to find that's the case for some bikes as well.

Replacing pads is not difficult. Even a ham-fisted mechanic like me can do it. :LOL:

Grab a manual for it before you start and RTFM :LOL:

Also do a web search on the subject "replace brake pads on a Virago 250" - it's surprising just what info you might find on the subject.
  5. Nothing difficult about replacing the pads - simply take the old ones out, push the pistons back, and slip the new ones in. Get's a little bit more difficult if you decide to also replace the brake fluid though, usually means having to bleed the brakes.
  6. Thanks for the tips guys. The brake fluid has only done about 500 kms so there is no need to change it yet. I might do it myself and see what happens.

Thanks again