Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Front brake on my SMR570, need help distinguishing a missing part

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by twisties, Jul 19, 2012.

1. See two attached images from the Fische of both the SMR model of this bike and the dirt model (which have different master cylinders).

The Dirt model I have circled what I'm after, which without knowing the actual name of the part (the root of my problem), it appears to be an adjuster of some description but it also obviously serves the purpose of providing something for the lever to push on to then actuate the piston.

The other picture shows the fishce of the SMR model and it appears to be missing this part or something similar.

My issue is I bought a new brake level as I snapped the last one but I've misplaced this part on the bike and haven't been able to identify it to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any idea what it's actually supposed to be called or able to point me in the right direction?

2. dude just find any bolt that will fit with the correct thread pattern
  3. Your supermoto thread got me thinking about this while at work. I'll have to have another look tonight to see whether I'd have anything to suit.
  4. with my tard I am using what ever I can find that fits and does the job properly

thats the fun of it doing it cheap and having a bitser

tards are like the cafe racers of the 21st century

here is mine

its not original part but its a bolt I had that fits and works

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for the pic.
    Wish I could remember exactly how mine looked now. Is it home time yet?
  6. brake lever position adjustment screw is how I would describe it if I was trying to buy the part

the more you screw it out the the less play in the front brake lever and the quicker and harder the brakes bite
  7. Why don't you just quote the part number on the Fische?

That's what I do when I want a specific part.

I would call that the lever position adjuster, given that's what it does. If it's missing from the SM fische, it probably doesn't apply.
  8. I had another look at the bike and there's definitely a part missing though I'm confused as to why it's not on the SM fische... Only thing I can think is it's part of the master cylinder maybe.

There's no threads on either the cylinder end or the lever end, it has cups at either end to fit a ball/round ended pushrod and stays in place because of the limit of travel on the brake lever.

It looks like it's meant to have some sort of dust boot or cap around the pushrod but I suppose I'll see if I can make up something the right length that'll fit in until I can find a proper one.
  9. Could it (parts 9) be a fastener assembly for the rubber boot for the dirt bike lever.

If you have the bolt that goes through the brake lever and brake lever perch and the lock nut for that bolt you have everything you need for the SMR....IF there is only one hole in the brake lever.... AND if you have purchased the correct lever.

Also, answer this; have you/when you assemble the lever/master cylinder does the brake work properly?

Having said all that, if you can you take and post photos of all the shit you have regarding your query ie the master cylinder, lever, fastners etc I may be able to give you a definitive answer.
  10. It'll be dark by the time I get home but I'll grab the camera and flash and see if I can get a decent picture of it.

It doesn't work with the brake lever installed as it is, it definitely needs a rod in there.
    There's no hole through which to thread a bolt on the lever, just a cup to take one end of a rounded rod or something. I can't even remember if whatever was there was adjustable.
  11. There are 2 ways that these adjusters work,one reduces the freeplay to the piston.The other way adjusts the distance the lever is from the bar.Both are kinda handy,pun intended
  12. if your grabbin any old bolt , best to add a locking nut as well if it fits.
    we are talking about brakes after all.